Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How long with fruit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
emacgee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long with fruit?

Just racked onto 5 lbs of pureed muscat grapes and was wondering how long I should let the brew sit with them. I plan on racking the brew off and letting it settle out and finish up any residual sugars before bottling so I don't get any exploding bottles but I was wondering what a good time period would be to leave it with the fruit. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In the fruit beers I've done, I've always left the fruit in the primary for ~4 weeks, rack to another container for a week, cold crash, and bottle.

I think the time estimate depends on how well crushed the fruit is before adding it to the fermenting beer. The finer the fruit is crushed, the quicker the flavor absorption and secondary fermentation. If the crush is coarse or the fruit is left whole, additional time is needed to breakdown the fruit.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
emacgee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
In the fruit beers I've done, I've always left the fruit in the primary for ~4 weeks, rack to another container for a week, cold crash, and bottle.

I think the time estimate depends on how well crushed the fruit is before adding it to the fermenting beer. The finer the fruit is crushed, the quicker the flavor absorption and secondary fermentation. If the crush is coarse or the fruit is left whole, additional time is needed to breakdown the fruit.

Yeah, I pureed the grapes so they were not coarse at all. I tried to do it so leave some of the seeds and skins intact and not simply liquefy them.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
emacgee
Recipes 

Anyone else with any advice (bump)?

Old 11-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
LibertyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've made several blackberry wheat batches, and I always put the fruit in the primary, and only left it for 7 days. If the berries (grapes included) are well pulverized, then the yeast doesn't have a problem getting to it, and the juices don't have a problem mixing with the wort.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
emacgee
Recipes 

I'm going to do a gravity check probably today or tomorrow. It has slowed down to bubbling less than twice a minute. I'll taste the gravity reading sample and if it has a sufficient muscadine flavor then I'm going to rack it and let it clear and condition before bottling.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

When I did my strawberry blonde my schedule was as follows:

1 week in primary
2 weeks in primary (added fruit at beginning of 2 weeks)
2 weeks in secondary (racked off of fruit into secondary)

Old 11-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I recently made a honey wheat and transfered roughly 2 gallons of it on top of 10 oz of frozen raspberries. After 2 weeks, the berries were pale and looked dead so I figured they'd given up as much as they could give. It has been in the bottle a few weeks now and is great with a nice raspberry taste, nose, and even pinkish tone! Basically, my schedule was 2 weeks in primary and 2 in secondary on top of the fruit. I'm thinking that it may depend greatly on the fruit, beer type, and quantity of both. If I'd have put the entire batch on top of (more) raspberries, I'd have probably left it a bit longer.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
emacgee
Recipes 

The muscadines are already pale and lifeless and the beer has a very defined muscadine character. If it has the flavor I want should I go ahead and rack it? It is bubbling once every 45 seconds and the gravity is probably at about 1.020 from a rough OG of 1.080.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
LibertyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A question about adding fruit.

When I added my blackberries to the primary, I added the wort at about 180 F. This was to pasteurize the fruit. I picked my fruit myself, and had it stored in the freezer. It basically went from the horse pasture, to the freezer to the wort.

Was it necessary to pasteurize the fruit?

Quick Reply