Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > how long does a smack pack live after smacking?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
debtman7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default how long does a smack pack live after smacking?

Well last night I smacked my yeast, one of the XL smack packs, planning to brew today. Then my son had a bout of heatstroke and we spent the afternoon in the er instead. So now I'm brewing tomorrow and my smack pack is very swollen. Should I just leave it until tomorrow? I'm tempted to make a starter and throw it in there but tomorrow it would still be fermenting and no yeast would have dropped out of suspension, so I think I'd have to pitch the entire starter wort and all.

Any thoughts on what would be best?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
Llarian
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtman7
Well last night I smacked my yeast, one of the XL smack packs, planning to brew today. Then my son had a bout of heatstroke and we spent the afternoon in the er instead. So now I'm brewing tomorrow and my smack pack is very swollen. Should I just leave it until tomorrow? I'm tempted to make a starter and throw it in there but tomorrow it would still be fermenting and no yeast would have dropped out of suspension, so I think I'd have to pitch the entire starter wort and all.

Make a pint starter and pitch the whole thing.

-D

Old 06-02-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
grnich
Recipes 

I'd put it in the fridge overnight and take it out in the morning before brewing. Starters, bah!

Old 06-02-2007, 11:05 PM   #4
snaproll

Recipes 

Make the starter and pitch the whole thing I always do anyway never hurt my beer.

Primary :Belgian Blonde
Secondary:Cider
Drinking on tap: , Vanilla Porter, and an American wheat ,Pale Ale
Next up: unknown

The only people that appear not to make mistakes, are the ones that do nothing, and that is the biggest mistake .

Old 06-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
jfliv
Recipes 

Default For future reference

Since your emergencies have past...

I used a smack pack (Wyeast) a few days after smacking... I didn't want to make a starter wort because that's the whole beauty of the smack pack to me.

The first time I did it, I did so because the yeast was delivered the coldest week of the year and it was a bit frozen... so I defrosted it in the fridge (nice and slow over a couple of days) and I wanted to make sure it was still viable after the ordeal. - It clearly says "don't freeze" -

Anyway, I smacked it a few days before I was going to brew to give myself enough time to get some more yeast if I needed it so I would have to postpone brew day. It turned out to be just fine.

Just this weekend, I smacked a pack on Friday night for a brew on Saturday, but I wasn't able to brew Saturday... I ended up brewing Sunday afternoon. It's working pretty good in the primary right now... I think the extra day may even have helped!

Old 06-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtman7

Nothing wrong with a little extra fermented wort in there. Just adjust your recipe and up your hops accordingly. I'd make a starter, without a doubt.

And next time your kid's stupid medical problems interfere with the sacred ritual of brewing, tell the neighbor to take the brat to the ER.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply