Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How long does a propane tank last?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Bayou Burner SP10, 6 gallon batches, I usually get 5-6 brews from one tank and always keep a spare on hand. Often times I find as they empty out I get less pressure (naturally), so I have trouble bringing to a boil. So, I will hook up a fresh tank to bring to boil etc, and then hook up the almost empty tank once I have full boil to bleed it of all excess propane. I'll usually get another 20 minutes out of the almost empty tank.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
SmokingGunn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by estricklin View Post
Always try to refill if you can rather than exchange, when you exchange a lot of times the tanks are only 3/4 full. I take mine to a local propane dealer, they fill it to the max.
This is correct. There was a class action lawsuit against them:
http://www.stuevesiegel.com/CM/Resul...Settlement.asp

Have your tank filled by your local welding supplier. There may be hardware stores that can fill your tank for you, but any welding supply store should be able to do it.

Check your tank before you take it to be filled!Theres a month/date stamp on the collar of the bottle (xx-xx). Your cylinder is only certified for service for 10 years from that date. If it has expired either swap it out somewhere or be prepared to pay a requalificiation fee to have it inspected. I don't recall if the requalification is good for five or ten years... I think it's 10.

I hope this helps... Gunn

Old 11-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

That's not very nice to try to stiff someone with your expired tank. FWIW, the one time I had to do an exchange (caught short on a Sunday afternoon) they checked the date.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 11-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Well, they will short you. The exchange companies will fill a tank up to the month of expiration and then put it out to the public. If you got that tank and tried to get it refilled the next month, it would not be filled. I have no problem exchanging an out of date tank as I paid for use of the tank when I first got it. I actually think of that payment as lifetime rental(my life not the tanks) because I can exchange that tank regardless of the date. In fact, I do not know if they recertify the tanks, but I suspect not due to the cost of a new tank in bulk for them.

One thing to remember about using propane is that you can freeze the regulator and the gas will stop. The conditions have to be right for this and it does not always happen, but it has happened to me so I always have a spare.

Also a banjo burner will not use all of the tank. That is another good reason to get a refill vs exchange as you may have as much as a third left.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #15
rhcp313
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use a Bayou KAB4 as my boil-only burner. I used to use it to heat my strike/sparge water, and then move to boil position (I have a variable 3-tier system) but I was running out of gas mid-brew by my third 6 gallon batch.

Now, I heat strike and sparge on my stovetop, and can get 5-6 brews out of a tank when using it for boil only.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #16
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have 25 lbs tank and it lasts for 5-6 batches (boil only).

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Old 11-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #17
Slacktime
Recipes 

Standard propane tank weighs 20 lbs and holds 20 lbs of propane. If you are not sure if you have enough propane, you can weigh the tank.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #18
SmokingGunn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacktime
Standard propane tank weighs 20 lbs and holds 20 lbs of propane. If you are not sure if you have enough propane, you can weigh the tank.
There's a Tare weight on the collar as well.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #19
CodyA
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Jeeze, if a tank only lasted me one brew, I'd start doing little 3 gallon batches on the stove top! That's some expensive beer, even for a 10 gallon batch!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #20
ndinh
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a 2 burner setup for my strike/sparge and BK. I'm getting about 3 brews. The last brew had a 90 minute boil time though. I'm currently in the process of switching to natural gas because propane is so $$.

Quick Reply