Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How long do smack packs stay good?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 02:59 AM   #1
McCall St. Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default How long do smack packs stay good?

Hi all. Haven't been here for awhile. I bought the ingredients for an IPA a month or so ago, brought everything home and never brewed it. The store crushed the grain for me. Will it still be good or has it lost much of its flavor? I bought a Wyeast smackpack and it's been sitting in the fridge now since then. Will it still be good?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
brackbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Usually liquid yeast cultures--like the smackpack--have a best if used by date somewhere on the package. Should be fine, though, imagine how long some packs sit in a fridge at your LHBS before someone buys them.

BREW ON

Old 06-01-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Smack packs are good for 6-8 months, if you keep them cool. The older they get, the longer it will take for them to plump. I've only had two fail and in both cases, the LHBS owners said there were a lot of bad packs in that shipment. It was summer time and they probably just got over-heated.

One of the reasons I started keeping some dried yeasts handy.

If you kept the grain cool, it should be ok. A month after crushing is about the limit, unless you freeze the grain. I keep mine in the top of the kegger along with the hops and ginger root.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 06-01-2006 at 02:19 PM.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
digdan

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you have them shipped, make sure they are cold when they arrive or you will need to use them sooner.

I had two smack packs shipped, put them in the fridge for a month, pulled em out, smacked em, and nothing

Old 06-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #5
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

if even 1 yeast cell is alive the pack is viable (provided you don't kill him) It may take a while (few weeks/months), but eventually you will have the 60 billion + yeasties needed to pitch

Old 06-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #6
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

budbo is right. I just pitched into a starter a wy2308 that was 2 years old. Still going in my starter atm but wasn't ready to pitch when I needed so I'll let it ferment out, cool, and store to use on my next brew.

Quick Reply