Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How Long can Wort set before pitching Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
redneckbeagle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How Long can Wort set before pitching Yeast?

I brewed Sunday and my Wyeast smack pack did not expand. I even tried to add some wort after chilling and it still did nothing. After letting it set in a growler with an air lock overnight, still nothing. It was dead as dead can be!

It will be tonight before I can get back to the local HB store.

It is setting in a sanitized carboy, will it be OK♠ until I get some more yeast tonight?

Cheers,

redneckbeagle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If everything was sanitized it should not be an issue. sometimes batches take 2-3 days to take off where it is just sitting around doing not much of anything.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A: Get at least two packs of dry yeast. No, you don't need to pitch two - you need to put (at least) one in your fridge for the next time. Dry yeast, kept refrigerated, is darn-near immortal (ie, don't sweat the expiration on your backup package unless you are a major worry-wart, in which case $2.50 every 4 years or so is cheap insurance).

B: While long delays are not ideal, it should be fine if the sanitation was good.

Re-filling the pipeline - got a lot of brewing to do.

Quick Reply