Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > how long can a Tripel age?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My first attempt at a Tripel has been in the bottle for 2 weeks. I couldn't wait any longer, so I cracked one open tonight. CLEARLY needs some age. I KNOW that it is not ready. I did NOT expect it to be after just two weeks in the bottle (I just had to reassure myself that it was carbing up OK - it is). I'll be cellaring these for a while for sure, but I'm curious, just how long can a Tripel age? I routinely lay down big, dark beers for years, but I've never brewed something this big and this light in color before. Are we talking a few months before this starts to turn south? 6 months? Can I lay them down for a year and still have something good?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If commercial examples are any example of this I would say you're probably ok for two or three years.

Time to have some fun

Old 03-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I like mine on the young side, I guess, when they still have a touch of bubblegum, fresh graininess, and robust bitterness. Those qualities go away by 4-6 months. If you keg it you can take little tastes along the way, and take note of how the hops drop out, the crispness evolves, and the phenols get woodier.

AgingHopster Likes This 
Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Gregscsu
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

When I brew triples, Quads, and golden strongs I always let them sit in secondary for 6 months or more. Strong belgian beers love the age. They only get better with time!

Old 03-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregscsu View Post
When I brew triples, Quads, and golden strongs I always let them sit in secondary for 6 months or more. Strong belgian beers love the age. They only get better with time!
This!

I gave up on Belgians due to my impatience and need to use the carboys for other brews. The best I could make it was 5 months and it was the best of the batch. Chimays are aged for 18 months BEFORE they even leave the Abbey, so thats a great guideline for where you want yours to be.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregscsu View Post
Yup. 6 months to a year bulk aging for mine as well.

Since yours is already in the bottle, just forget about it for 6 months or so.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts

Awesome. Thanks all. This is what I was hoping to hear. The beer actually spent 4 weeks lagering in secondary. I didn't think to leave it in bulk for longer. Next time I guess. For this batch, I'll stash these bottles away for a while.

My Beer Cellar

Old 03-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
hammis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i aged for 3 weeks in secondary, and now going on 2+ months in the bottle. i tried one after a month in the bottle and it was pretty good, but you could tell it could use a bunch more time aging

Old 03-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I have a BGSA and a tripel (is there really a difference?) I brewed two years ago that are still delicious.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
neomantra
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I have the "Clone Brews" book by Tess and Mark Szamatulski and on some of the belgian tripel recipes in the book it explicitly recommends drinking them young, "before it dries out as it ages." Just providing one example, the Petrus Tripel recipe I recently brewed up suggests that it will peak at 2-5 months and will keep at cellar temperatures for 10 months. Granted this is only a 7.5% brew which I think is kind of on the lower end of the scale for a tripel.

From personal experience I agree with most of the folks here saying that aging these types of beers is fine, but just thought I'd throw this out there since I had just brewed up this clone and was a bit surprised to see this advice in the book. I'm definitely going to be paying closer attention to how this one ages over time.

Quick Reply