Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How long can I smack my smack pack

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 02:47 AM   #1
Hilbert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default How long can I smack my smack pack

How many hours or days can a smack pack stay activated? If I smack it and let it sit longer than 8 hours will I be in trouble?

Also, how long can a starter sit our? Let's say I pitch my starter and don't get around to brewing how long can it sit out at room temp with an airlock on?

Thanks

Tap 4: Heffe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
phrogpilot73
Loving the hobby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My smack pack said to smack 1-3 hours before pitching, but to discard if not used within 24 hours.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
My smack pack said to smack 1-3 hours before pitching, but to discard if not used within 24 hours.
He must have shares in Wyeast I've never seen instructions that say to discard it if not used in 24 hours.

I've had many smack packs that have taken several days to swell. (They were usually a bit old). The instructions say that older packs can take longer to activate.

If you make a starter, but can't use it within a day or so, then just put it in the fridge to allow the yeast to settle out. If you can brew within a day or two, you can decant the clear water or pitch the whole starter. If it stays in the fridge for more than a week, you can make a new starter, decanting the clear water, and pitching the yeast from the original starter.

-a.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:24 AM   #4
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
He must have shares in Wyeast I've never seen instructions that say to discard it if not used in 24 hours.

I've had many smack packs that have taken several days to swell. (They were usually a bit old). The instructions say that older packs can take longer to activate.

If you make a starter, but can't use it within a day or so, then just put it in the fridge to allow the yeast to settle out. If you can brew within a day or two, you can decant the clear water or pitch the whole starter. If it stays in the fridge for more than a week, you can make a new starter, decanting the clear water, and pitching the yeast from the original starter.

-a.
I believe its not a problem. They are sterile and guaranteed by Wyeast. In fact one day is suggested for each month past the MFG day for full activation. This advice came directly from Wyeast via an email.

You can refrigerate it once its fully grown out, then just let it warm up before you use it giving it a good shake before you pitch.

If you are talking more than several weeks to months I'd make a starter just to be sure its going.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 02-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

On the starters, I've left starters in the fridge for a week without issue. At room temperature, I would expect a week to be fine, too. I mean, think about what you do after you pitch the starter.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 02-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
twst1up
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 19

i've smacked and had the swollen pkg. sit out on the counter (hidden under bills) for weeks and have not had a problem. Of course i made a starter from the pack to ensure everything was ok.

you can take the boy outta New Jersey...

Old 02-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
Hilbert
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

thanks guys

Tap 4: Heffe

Old 02-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Its already been said, but here is is straight from the horses mouth in the Wyeast FAQ

Quote:
7. I popped the inner nutrient pouch and the package swelled tight but I can’t use it right away. What do I do?

If you have activated a package but can’t use it right away, simply allow the package to swell and then refrigerate the package. The yeast will survive for extended periods if refrigerated. Before using, take the package out of the refrigerator and allow it to come up to room temperature before using. It is best to use the yeast as soon as possible.

Quick Reply