New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How to increase alcohol%

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
Homercidal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1657 Times on 1203 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdude View Post
I was a bit curious of this myself. I'm fermenting my first American Style Lager and it called for rice syrup (ended up using rice syrup solids). From what I've read the rice syrup only adds fermentable sugars without adding taste or color (of course upping the alcohol will affect the taste).

Would you just be able to add rice syrup to up the alcohol content?
Well, that's the whole purpose of rice syrup. That's why the American Light Lager is so light. It uses Corn or Rice to increase the fermentability without adding mouthfeel or flavors.

So the question is, do you want to do that? For some styles it best to add some and bump up the ABV while keeping it light and refreshing. But it's not for every recipe or style. Simply adding syrups can change the entire balance of a beer, and one that was perfect without, may be hot, or thin, or hoppy with.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #12
gregger
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Depends on what I'm making. I've added plain table sugar to the boil, light or dark brown sugar, fruit extract/syrup, honey, even Booster bought through Mr. Beer kit website.

Bottled: Oat Red Ale, Peach Wheat, Strawberry Dirty Blonde Ale, Brown Sugar IPA

In line: Cucumber Summer Blonde, Kona Pipeline Porter Clone, Bacon Porter

The best yet: St. Nick's Dirty Stout (Vanilla Gingerbread Stout) - guessed at the recipe when boiling, didn't write anything down... DAMN.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #13
fxdude

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I actually have a friend who is fermenting a northern nut brown ale at my place. It's been in the primary for three week. Took readings over the last two days and it's at 2% alcohol with a really strong nutty flavor. He was thinking of boiling some rice syrup solids in a very small amount of water, cool it down, then dump it into the primary to see if the yeast will pick back up and ferment a second time.

I'm not really sure what will happen or if that will even work or if it will end up ruining the beer. Right now it just tastes like a really watered down nutty ale.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #14
RM-MN
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 637 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Is your purpose to have good beer or just to get drunk? I've heard that grain alcohol is cheap. You could just dump a bunch of that into your beer but don't blame me if it isn't drinkable. The purpose of the recipes and recipe kits is to produce a good tasting beer to fit within a style. Adding sugar or rice syrup will change that and a lot of the time it won't be for the better.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:45 AM   #15
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 402 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 1155

Just add more extract or more grains per gallon.
try sugar,molassis. corn,table.honey, if you dont like them dont use them.Best thing is to just increase your fermentables with base grains and or extract.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:06 AM   #16
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3853 Times on 2815 Posts
Likes Given: 643

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdude View Post
I actually have a friend who is fermenting a northern nut brown ale at my place. It's been in the primary for three week. Took readings over the last two days and it's at 2% alcohol with a really strong nutty flavor. He was thinking of boiling some rice syrup solids in a very small amount of water, cool it down, then dump it into the primary to see if the yeast will pick back up and ferment a second time.

I'm not really sure what will happen or if that will even work or if it will end up ruining the beer. Right now it just tastes like a really watered down nutty ale.
2% isn't possible. I bet he's reading the "potential alcohol" scale on the hydrometer which isn't the correct scale to be looking at. Look at the Specific gravity scale and see what it is. That will tell you the final gravity. You need to subtract that from the original gravity and do a bit of math to find the actual ABV. 2% is NOT correct, though! We can help you with the actual ABV if you tell us the original reading or the reading the instructions told you to expect.

If you want to ruin a probably decent beer, then go ahead and have him add the rice syrup solids. I'd skip that and do the math, though!

Old 02-12-2011, 02:05 AM   #17
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

You can add a bunch of table sugar, dextrose, honey, corn syrup, brown sugar, or whatever you want. The only drawback is more sugar= more conditioning time. 1 lbs of sugar or less in most beers is not a problem, but 2-2.5 lbs will need many months of conditioning, or it tastes like crap. On the other hand, a large amount of sugar in your beer combined with a long conditioning period produces excellent tasting beers, Duvel and many other excellent beers are made this way

Old 02-12-2011, 02:44 AM   #18
BrokenDog
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Make a 5 gallon extract kit with 4 gallons of water.

Paps Likes This 
Old 12-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #19
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenDog View Post
Make a 5 gallon extract kit with 4 gallons of water.
+1

Probably the easiest answer to increasing ABV without knocking a recipe out of balance. Then use a higher ABV attenuating yeast such as Fermentis S-33 or T-58

Quick Reply