Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How to impart chocolate flavor on a sweet stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
yeknom366
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to impart chocolate flavor on a sweet stout

I have read several recipes using either chocolate baking powder or cocoa powder for maybe a sweet chocolate stout. Others have mentioned using cocoa nibs as they are more effective and potent when adding the desired flavor. However, I have a couple brands of chocolate which are my absolute favorite: Graeter's and Ester Price.

So here's my question for making a chocolate stout - Is it worth using your favorite chocolate (more than likely in bars) to impart the flavor into your beer, or will in be indecipherable from using nibs, powder, or extract?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
Tantalus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My general philosophy in cooking and brewing is that better ingredients are always going to shine through. I think especially if you're adding cocoa to secondary, where the yeast won't scrub too much of the flavor, it's worth trying the chocolate you like.

Then again, I've never brewed a beer with added chocolate, so I'll leave it to the experts.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 229

IMO>>>DO NOT add Cocoa Powder to the secondary, from personal experience, it will end up tasting just like a spoon full of cocoa powder taste, even after 6+months I wrecked a great stout trying that.

You don't want the oils from chocolate bars in your brew ether.

I have not tried putting cocoa powder in the boil @ 10 till flameout yet, but I have heard good reviews on doing that, or cocoa nibs in the secondary or both for big chocolate taste.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 12-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Chocolate bars=added oils, so no head when carbonated. If you're OK with that, proceed with your plan. If not, cocoa nibs or lots of chocolate malt would be options. With either, you may need to add extra lactose to backsweeten to offset the bitterness from the chocolate.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
HopOnHops
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I made a stout with 8oz chocolate 4 oz black patent and 4 oz roasted barley for the roasty grains, it came out pretty chocolatey.

I've also had great success with liquor soaked cacao nibs in secondary, my favorite is to soak them in bourbon a few days before using them

8oz cocoa powder at the end of the boil works well too, downside is a lot of brown sludge in primary. Even after fermentation, the chocolate taste sustains

Old 12-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Grantman1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

A pretty simple option is to brew with chocolate malt. I get a ton of chocolate flavor with about 7%.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Tantalus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com/2011/10/fat-washing-using-fatty-or-oily-foods.html

This is an article on fat-washing, which would effectively turn your chocolate into an extract and remove the added fats (cocoa butter, etc.). Might be worth a try if you're feeling adventurous.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
yeknom366
Recipes 

I am still debating if I care enough about the head retention. However, if I wanted to keep the flavor of Graeter's or Ester Price chocolate in my beer, will it still show the unique flavor in the end or will it taste the same as a generic chocolate flavor?

Quick Reply