The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How harmful are low ferment temps?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 09:42 PM   #11
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

you can move them if you'd like. the one that will get the most benefit is the stout...primary fermentation is when most of the flavors come out.

in the future i'd keep them all in the basement...that temp is perfect.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 09:52 PM   #12
bamadoh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the advice about cooler temps. I have my 4th batch a hefe in a brew closet in a basement that has recently stabilized at 62. All my previous beers had been at 70-74 and I was worried the cool temp was detrimental since the fermentation was slow to take off and has dragged on longer than I expected. I was planning on taking a grav reading today since its day 8 but I still have a thick krausen on top. Any advice as to how long to leave this in primary and wether or not to secondary before bottling. Thanks

Old 11-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #13
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you still have a krausen, leave it alone. When the krausen falls, take an SG reading and see where you are compared to your target SG.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #14
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I cool every beer to 55-57, pitch the yeast and slowly let the temps come up to about 65 through the first 3 days. It keeps my beers pretty clean

Old 11-23-2008, 10:56 PM   #15
davebl
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used to ferment at whatever temps the living room was... sometimes over 74 degrees. Now I use a fermentation fridge, and I do my ales at 62. It never new I had off flavors until I brewed cooler and compared. Much cleaner beers.

Before my temp control, all of my beers a very similar flavor... now they are unique and I can taste that in them.

Planning:

Primary: Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout

Secondary: Centennial IPA (Dry Hopping)

Kegged: Oberon Clone, Kona Fire Rock APA, Northern English Brown, Centennial Blond

Old 11-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #16
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What about "sleeping yeast"? I have a porter that I pitched around 70. 12 hours later, it was blowing through the top. It did this for 2 days at 68*. Then my temp dropped(slowly) to about 64. After no activity in 1 day, I took a reading of 1.020.. I warmed the ferm up using a cooler, water, and a aquarium thermometer to 68. Right away I get activity in the airlock, and have for the past 4 days!! This is day 9 and still perking away.

Are you saying that I would eventually get to the same number at 62* ?

Old 11-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #17
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrr81765 View Post
It depends on what the active temperature range of your yeast was, but I'd say probably yes, you would eventually get there at 62 degrees. Generally speaking, fermentation happens slower at cooler temps and faster at higher temps. The problem with excessively high temperatures is that they can give stinky off-flavors, and the problem with excessively low temperatures is that the yeast can go dormant and stop altogether (and need to be swirled and warmed a little). But most ale yeasts would still be active at 62, and would probably give a clean fermentation at that temp. That may or may not be a good thing depending on what style of beer you're making, but I've fermented beers at 62 and they came out fine.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #18
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
What about "sleeping yeast"? I have a porter that I pitched around 70. 12 hours later, it was blowing through the top. It did this for 2 days at 68*. Then my temp dropped(slowly) to about 64. After no activity in 1 day, I took a reading of 1.020.. I warmed the ferm up using a cooler, water, and a aquarium thermometer to 68. Right away I get activity in the airlock, and have for the past 4 days!! This is day 9 and still perking away.

CO2 dissolves better in colder temperature and as it warms up it comes back out of solution. I would guess that fermentation was mostly over.

Airlock bubbling is not a gauge of fermentation.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #19
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Quote:

with a good pitching rate, healthy yeast and a good environment with a consistent temp, yes.

you can always rouse the yeast, too. so many people are afraid to introduce oxygen, but once fermentation begins there is a huge cloud of co2 protecting your beer. there's no oxygen in there.

i say, AS SOON as fermentation slows down a bit, give that sucker a swirl. tell those yeast to quit slacking and get back in the party. it can only help.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...
MrFeltimo Likes This 
Old 11-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #20
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamadoh View Post
Thanks for all the advice about cooler temps. I have my 4th batch a hefe in a brew closet in a basement that has recently stabilized at 62. All my previous beers had been at 70-74 and I was worried the cool temp was detrimental since the fermentation was slow to take off and has dragged on longer than I expected. I was planning on taking a grav reading today since its day 8 but I still have a thick krausen on top. Any advice as to how long to leave this in primary and wether or not to secondary before bottling. Thanks
i'd just leave it in the primary for a total of 2-3 weeks and then, assuming your gravity is down, straight to bottle. hefeweizen krausen likes to stay there even after fermentation is complete. it may indeed be finished fermenting.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Quick Reply