Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How to get rid of extract twang

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 04:13 AM   #1
brewdude76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to get rid of extract twang

I recently had a long talk with the main brewer at The Woodward Avenue Brewery where he told me that the best way to get rid of extract twang is to dry hop with 1/2 an ounce of a low alpha acid hop, preferably one that is in your hop schedule. I have yet to try this, but plan on doing it with my next batch. He recommends Fuggle. Has anyone heard of this technique before?

In Europe...Drinking wine was not a snobbism nor a sign of sophistication nor a cult; it was as natural as eating and to me as necessary.
-Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
BK_BREWERY
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

sounds interesting might have to try that in the next batch as well

Old 04-29-2009, 05:27 AM   #3
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

I disagree. The best way to get rid of Extract Twang is to get rid of extract. Take the all-grain plunge!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:29 AM   #4
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

I've never heard of dry hopping to reduce extract twang. Honestly, I don't see how that would work at all. Two techniques that do tend to work are a late extract addition and switching to all grain. Other than that, I don't see hops doing anything to reduce it. Did he happen to mention how that worked?

I get a big BS vibe from that, to be totally honest. Sorry if that sounds like an a-hole comment, but without some kind of reason how/why it would work, I'm just not feeling it.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
lehr
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
I've never heard of dry hopping to reduce extract twang. Honestly, I don't see how that would work at all. Two techniques that do tend to work are a late extract addition and switching to all grain. Other than that, I don't see hops doing anything to reduce it. Did he happen to mention how that worked?

I get a big BS vibe from that, to be totally honest. Sorry if that sounds like an a-hole comment, but without some kind of reason how/why it would work, I'm just not feeling it.
You would be feeling it if you had woodward ave. beer !!!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

I think its not necessarily getting rid of extract. Its just getting rid of bad extract. Make sure all liquid extract is very fresh. DME keeps longer but shouldn't be stale. Full boils with late additions will also help.

If that doesn't work, then its AG. I'm an AG'er, but I don't blindly endorse it. There are plenty of great brewers here who brew PM or Extract with no problems. It can be done, just pay attention to every detail.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

At best I would think it would only mask it. I've had excellent success with LME by a) always shutting off heat when adding and stirring constantly and b) late add addition.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Whiskey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I've been doing extract with steeped grains and the occasional partial mash. I have not had the twang for some time, and this coming from others not my own baised taste buds. I think the biggest factor was late additions. I can only do 4g boils, but adding the extract in the last 20 minutes has made a drastic improvment in the beer overall.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
brewdude76
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post

I am building an all grain setup gradually and plan on switching next year, or this summer/fall if I am feeling frisky. He did not say how it worked. It came up when we were talking about bottle conditioning. I find that the twang goes away after 3-4 months in the bottle, which is way longer than I am willing to wait. My next batch is going to be a partial mash, considering adding half of my extract late. I don't blame you for not feeling it, kinda sounds too good to be true.

In Europe...Drinking wine was not a snobbism nor a sign of sophistication nor a cult; it was as natural as eating and to me as necessary.
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehr View Post
You would be feeling it if you had woodward ave. beer !!!
In that case, my LHBS says that you can reduce or even eliminate extract twang by shipping some of this Woodward Ave beer to certain lethargic quadrapedal relatives of the alpaca. PM me for more info about that particular program.

Quick Reply