The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How to get the best hop aroma from flameout additions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #81
BAJones
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Great thread, so it seems like a lot of people have success from adding the flame out hops after cooling to 170-180 then letting steep for 20-30 minutes. I will try this on an IPA this weekend. I'm going to remove my FWH and late additions (15-5) after chilling to 170-180 but before adding the flame out hops to steep for 30 minutes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #82
JKaranka
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I saw in a British forum that the brewer of Thornbridge leaves the late addition pretty much simmer for 20 minutes or so when making Kipling. And it's a cracking beer that one.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #83
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Bit of an old thread, but I was wondering about how this process of cooling to 180F or lower and then doing a hop stand affects the cold break. Isn't the idea of getting a good cold break based on cooling rapidly? Or is it still good to chill down to 180F or so, do a 30-minute hop stand, and then chill from there to pitching temp?

Answer if you know, but I'll also try to come back with my own experience after I brew this week. My plan is to cut the flame after a 90-minute boil, pull the hop spider, chill with my IC to 180F, then do a new spider bag with my aroma addition for 30 mins (covered). Then I'll pull that bag and chill the rest of the way, then whirlpool for 45 mins to allow the trub to cone up, and then drain to my fermenter. I'm going for a maxed-out IIPA, so if this all works harmoniously I'll have myself a house method.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #84
JKaranka
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

By now I've read so many British forums talking about simmering 20 minutes at 75-85c that I can't think it would go wrong. Plus probably saves some hops in the dry hopping.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #85
SilverZero
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKaranka View Post
By now I've read so many British forums talking about simmering 20 minutes at 75-85c that I can't think it would go wrong. Plus probably saves some hops in the dry hopping.
Maybe, depending on what you're looking for. I may be mistaken, but my understanding is that dry hops and aroma hops will give different characteristics (flavor vs. aroma). There's obviously a lot of overlap, but this is one of those things that I wish I could do a scientific side-by-side test for.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #86
kshuler
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Great thread. Subscribed.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

-------------------------------------------
http://www.bokehtests.com
http://web.mac.com/kshuler/Site/Welcome.html

Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #87
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKaranka View Post
You may have read them, but some of us haven't. Please enlighten us on what is being said in similar discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
Maybe, depending on what you're looking for. I may be mistaken, but my understanding is that dry hops and aroma hops will give different characteristics (flavor vs. aroma). There's obviously a lot of overlap, but this is one of those things that I wish I could do a scientific side-by-side test for.
?????? Hops added at strike-out are aroma hops. That's what you get from dry hopping too. There are no flavor hops being discussed here. However, I will agree that both aroma hops and dry hopping do produce different results.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #88
KaSaBiS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
?????? Hops added at strike-out are aroma hops. That's what you get from dry hopping too. There are no flavor hops being discussed here. However, I will agree that both aroma hops and dry hopping do produce different results.
If I understand correctly, his context is flameout hops when a hopstand is utilized, adds bitterness. if you cool immediately then you are right and it is strictly aroma hops in theory (based on how quickly you really are cooling)

I still dont have a good understanding of the relationship of DMS and a hopstand (or hot whirlpooling ) when covering the volume.

If You can still create DMS after a 90 min boil by hopstanding (hot whirlpooling) before chilling, I will throw my flameout hops back 10 min and chill on flameout. I believe 6 mo ago when I brewed a pale ale I did flameout hops, I cannot recall if I did a hopstand or cooled immediately, all I know is I did not notice DMS in the final beer
I just got a Mr Beer kit and want to brew a Double Imperial Blueberry Heffy Witesit....we have no air conditioning and live next to the sun...do you think I can logger and bottle this in time for a party I will be having next week?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #89
SilverZero
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaSaBiS View Post
If I understand correctly, his context is flameout hops when a hopstand is utilized, adds bitterness. if you cool immediately then you are right and it is strictly aroma hops in theory (based on how quickly you really are cooling)

I still dont have a good understanding of the relationship of DMS and a hopstand (or hot whirlpooling ) when covering the volume.

If You can still create DMS after a 90 min boil by hopstanding (hot whirlpooling) before chilling, I will throw my flameout hops back 10 min and chill on flameout. I believe 6 mo ago when I brewed a pale ale I did flameout hops, I cannot recall if I did a hopstand or cooled immediately, all I know is I did not notice DMS in the final beer
MY understanding is that the DMS precursors are all driven off by a good rolling boil of 90 minutes, probably even by 60 minutes, so covering and such will be fine since there are no more DMS precursors left. I don't bother covering all the same because I have never had a problem with infection, but it's certainly safer to cover. I think it's been said in this and other threads that DMS won't be produced very significantly after a longer uncovered boil. Correct me if I'm incorrect.

Further reading (which may confirm or deny what I have said): http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...#Causes_of_DMS

Old 01-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #90
GaryJohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure this technique is just like FWH, but in reverse.

Quick Reply