Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How to get the best hop aroma from flameout additions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #261
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee
I brewed 2 different 2.5 gal batches last week and both were FO only hop stands of 30 minutes.

One batch was a 1.060 Red Ale with 3oz Centennial thrown in at 190 degrees, stirred/whirpool every 5 min then cooled down to yeast pitching temps in 15 min. Temp dropped down to 175 after 30 min but I kept the lid on hoping to keep flavors in.

The other was a 1.058 Pale Ale with A 190 FO addition of 2oz Citra for 30 min. I also plan on dry hopping this brew with another oz.

I'm quite curious to see how these turn out, especially if they have enough bitterness, will ley you know in a few weeks.
Just tapped the Red and have to say I'm pretty impressed. The beer turned out well balanced with a great hop aroma.

I really didn't think the aroma would be there this strong without dry hopping but it is.

Hop flavor is also great but well balanced with a little darker malts.

Bitterness is just about right for me, no lasting sting on the back of the tongue, just a smooth bitterness that blends well with the flavor. If I had to guess IBU's I'd say somewhere between 30-40 IBU.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #262
skunk27
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Very interesting thread, thanks to all who have shared their experiences.

What sort of cold breaks have people being experiencing with these techniques? It seems many are letting the temperature drop gradually during the hop stand. Has anyone seen any noticeable or comparable affect on clarity?

Assuming the cold break will start occurring at about 60C (or 140F, whether that's a safe assumption or not, I'm not too sure) then provided you chill quickly past this point then the cold break should come as it usually would? Or not?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #263
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

skunk27, I believe that there would be no difference, if you chill quickly or no chill.

I am a no chiller. I did a hop stand, but I also consider it the same as a whirlpool, time wise, whether the wort is swirling or not.

Cold break settles at some point. I siphon off the clear wort out of my cubes to ferment.

In Cat Beers - I've Only Had One

BIABrewer.info / Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique

Brewing with MS; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscientistbrewhaus/sets/72157633528473769/detail/

Old 12-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #264
thisjrp4
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is a great thread. Just wondering if anyone has been using this method without dryhopping and what the results are compared to late boil additions (15, 10, 5, 0 minute). I mostly brew APAs but I don't often dry hop. Seems to me that massively dryhopping along with a hop stand would make it tough to determine how effective the method is at adding flavor/aroma.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #265
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisjrp4 View Post
This is a great thread. Just wondering if anyone has been using this method without dryhopping and what the results are compared to late boil additions (15, 10, 5, 0 minute). I mostly brew APAs but I don't often dry hop. Seems to me that massively dryhopping along with a hop stand would make it tough to determine how effective the method is at adding flavor/aroma.

Don't know if your referencing particular posts, but dry-hopping and flame-out additions will never taste exactly the same.

-You would have to take into consideration that delicate hop oils boil off at temperatures well below flame-out temps. And that not all hops contains similar amounts of the various essential oils, Myrcene in particular.

-You would have to consider that fermentation activity drives off
the delicate hydrophobic oils and that adding them to the boil would expose them to this fermentation activity when compared to dry hopping late in the fermentation cycle.

-In addition to fermentation activity driving off hop oils, they will also bind to proteins and yeast cell walls and settle out in the ferementer. This can be overcome by adding more hops though, but something to consider when making comparisons to dry hopping.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #266
DeBAD
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg388
Alright, so now that they're carbed up and conditioned the side by side test was done today. I also had my friend taste them without knowing which one was which.

The recipe, it's pretty out of season.
10# pilsner
8# gambrinus "esb" malt
1# carafoam
.5# honey malt
mash @ 154
90 minute boil

.8oz magnum @12.5%

When it was chilling time i split the beer into 2 pots and added .7oz saphir to each, immediately chilling the first 5 gallons and letting the other 5 sit there while the first batch chilled. Each bucket received a re-hydrated pack of S-05. The OG was 1.042 and I didn't measure the FG.

The verdict? Steeping the hops for 20 or so minutes before chilling will get more aroma and flavor out of them. All the hops were pellets.

The one that was chilled instantly doesn't really have any hop qualities at all, maybe a tiny "green" or "plant" flavor if you search for it. Pretty much a waste of hops, it mostly has a mild candy-like sweetness with a bit of malt flavor, but overall it's quite a low-flavor chuggable beer. I'd probably like it more if it was hot outside.

The one that was steeped has a modest, bright hop essence that mixes nicely with that sweetness. You can actually smell a bit of hops in it and taste them too. It's still a real mild, chuggable low-flavor beer, but there's more going on than in the other one. I think the steeped beer has a teensy bit more bitterness, but I couldn't tell until i re-tasted them to see what the difference was.

So there we go! I'm excited to find out how much more intense my hoppy brews are going to start getting pretty soon here.
GREAT info complete with a real life example. Perfect! I'm sold!

Old 12-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #267
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisjrp4 View Post
Dry hopping vs late kettle hopping for me have always resulted in different tastes. The two aren't interchangeable and I think you'll find that anyone doing a lot of late kettle additions is likely dry hopping as well as the flavour/aroma differences compliment each other.

Kal

Quick Reply