Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How to get the best hop aroma from flameout additions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #131
Grantman1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffoC6 View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know who may be reading this thread that I HIGHLY recommend this technique. See my post #126 in this thread. I followed exactly this hope schedule and I just pitched my yeast. I tasted the hydrometer sample and it way more of a hop kick then I've ever had on any of my past IPA's. The bitterness was wonderful, and while it was sweet (like wort is) it had an underlying hop bitterness. I can't wait till this ferments down and I dry hop the heck out of it. I really think this technique is something I'll use every time moving forward.
Please report back once it's finished up. I also tried a similar technique and have an IPA in the fermenter currently. Only hop additions were at 60, 30, and a huge flameout addition when the wort dropped below 150. Planning on dryhopping the hell out of it, too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #132
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantman1 View Post
Please report back once it's finished up. I also tried a similar technique and have an IPA in the fermenter currently. Only hop additions were at 60, 30, and a huge flameout addition when the wort dropped below 150. Planning on dryhopping the hell out of it, too.
Will do. She's fermenting now. I'll probably take a gravity reading in about 8 more days, whereupon I will sample and let everyone know my results thusfar.

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 02-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #133
Komp09
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'm excited to hear how this comes out. Keep us posted!

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"

Old 03-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #134
KaSaBiS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantman1 View Post
I did a FWH, 15, 5,0 and chilled below 170 and threw another 2 oz in my 10g batch. Needless to say everyone floated my keg within 20 days of kegging. To add in comp. my feed back was the hops were not pronounced enough. 40 IBU calculated for a pale.

I will add that of 4 entries, 2 got some metals, and neither were the Pale. Yet amongst my friends, that was the killed the fastest.

I noticed a fairly dense "dry hop" haze from this method, w/o dryhopping. although others say they did not notice a haze from this method
I just got a Mr Beer kit and want to brew a Double Imperial Blueberry Heffy Witesit....we have no air conditioning and live next to the sun...do you think I can logger and bottle this in time for a party I will be having next week?

Old 03-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #135
feinbera
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quick update on my 45-minute hop-stood IPA .... it's super chill-hazy.

I chilled to 175, chucked in 1.5 oz of a Citra/Cascade combo, and stood for 45 minutes, in which time, it got down to about 140.

In order to isolate the effects of the hop stand, I set aside a half-gallon of the beer in a clear glass growler, and, in the two weeks since I racked out of primary, it had been clearing up nicely; I could clearly see my hand through the beer, etc. That is, until I threw it in the fridge for a couple days of cold-crashing, at which point, it became hazier than it was when I racked it, and has stayed that way for about 48 hours now.

I hopefully bottle today; I'll let y'all know how it tastes at the end of the month!

(Quick edit, just to say, all my hydrometer samples have smelled and tasted great; this is shaping up to be my best IPA. My only issue with this technique is cosmetic, and I'm optimistic that the cosmetic issue is fixable)

Old 03-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #136
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I follow some variation of this schedule for my IPAs:

Quick-Chill: Directly after boil down to 170 F during the course of 15 minutes, followed by...

Hopstand: 165-58 F whirlpool, slow-chill during the course of 45-60 minutes. Let the bagged hopstand hops drip and then give the bag a gentle squeeze. Remove and discard the bagged hopstand hops.

Primary: 10-24 days at 60-66 F, rising slowly as the days increase.
Secondary (or Primary): 7-14 days @ 66-68 F. Add the dryhop during the last 7-10 days.
Bottles: 2.5 weeks at 68-72 F.
Refrigerator: 1-2 weeks promotes clearing and refines flavor with little to no negative impact on aroma.

My IPAs are usually hazy directly after bottling. However, give them a week or two in the refrigerator and they are crystal clear.

I do not typically rack to secondary, cold crash, or use gelatin either. I simply filter/bag my hops, use whirlfloc, and let gravity and patience do the work for me.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #137
TheHairyHop
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I made an IPA this past weekend.

Using the Zombie Dust malt bill, I added .5 oz each of Chinook, Amaraillo, Simcoe, and Citra above 180 for 30 minutes and then the same amounts for 30 more under 180 (I think it was 165). I didn't add any bittering hops. I'm going to dry hop with the same hops, but I might be flexible when I taste it on dry hop. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Beers I'll Make Again: Apollo SMaSH, Imperial 1.0, Old Chub Clone, Wheat IPA, G'Knight Clone

Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #138
NewDecadeBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHairyHop
Is there a rule of thumb for the utilization percent of IBUs in a stand at around 190? Makes me wonder if I could get all of my IBUs from the stand if I throw in enough
AFAIK I have heard three brewers discuss this. Matt from Firestone, the brewer from Pizza Port Carlsbad, and Jamil, all on Jamil's radio show. The consensus seemed to be a 30 minute hop stand at flameout temps gave about the equivalent of a 20 minute boil addition. Jamil discusses how on developing one of his Heretic recipes he overshot his IBU's per the recipe which was confirmed by a lab with just a flameout steep and no other additions.

I usually do a 30 minute steep at flameout and punch it in the calculator as a 20 minute addition. My flavor aroma has been decidedly "better" since I have been doing this. The bittering has also been pleasant. I usually brew an APA this way. My last beer the wort was down to 190 after thirty minutes. Then I rapidly chill. I cover with foil during the stand. The beers come out clear btw and I usually secondary but sometimes only for a few days or so.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #139
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDecadeBrewery

AFAIK I have heard three brewers discuss this. Matt from Firestone, the brewer from Pizza Port Carlsbad, and Jamil, all on Jamil's radio show. The consensus seemed to be a 30 minute hop stand at flameout temps gave about the equivalent of a 20 minute boil addition. Jamil discusses how on developing one of his Heretic recipes he overshot his IBU's per the recipe which was confirmed by a lab with just a flameout steep and no other additions.

I usually do a 30 minute steep at flameout and punch it in the calculator as a 20 minute addition. My flavor aroma has been decidedly "better" since I have been doing this. The bittering has also been pleasant. I usually brew an APA this way. My last beer the wort was down to 190 after thirty minutes. Then I rapidly chill. I cover with foil during the stand. The beers come out clear btw and I usually secondary but sometimes only for a few days or so.
This is interesting. My last APA seemed a little too bitter even though I didn't use a lot of bittering hops but had a huge FO addition. Looks like I have some more experimenting to do.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #140
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Interesting discussion.

I want to do an experiment with a ~1.050 APA and *only* add hops with a hop stand at flameout. No hops added during the boil at all.

I believe you can never have enoug flavour/aroma (the whole point of the experiment) but I don't want to overdo the bitterness.

I plan on add the hops immediately at flameout (212F) and then steeping for ~80 minutes with the lid off to allow the wort to start cool somewhat, then chill fast with a CFC.

I'm confused which estimate to use: Assume the IBUs is like 10% of a regular 60 min boil? Or assume it's like a 20 min addition? The estimates vary by a factor of 5:

(1) Assuming 10% of 60 min boil: 24 IBU
(2) Assuming 20 minute addition: 132 IBU

24 IBU would probably be ok (given the massive flavour/aroma which I'm going after) but if 132 IBU is more accurate then it's way too high and I need to cut the hops to 1/4 the original amount or possibly cool the wort first before adding the flameout hops. (?)

This'll be a 12 gallon batch (post boil) and probably a full pound of hops (Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Citra). Then dry hopped with 2 oz.

Looking for opinions. Thanks!

Kal

Quick Reply