How fast can I flip a Wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinlock

Reaction score
1-2 weeks?

I started a wit last last week Sunday, 4/3/11 with Wyeast Labs #3463 (Forbidden Fruit) OG 1.071

Fermentation went nuts for the first 48 then died down rather rapidly, it looks to be about pooped out, but I haven't confirmed with a reading yet. I have been rousing the yeast cake about once or twice a day with a good swirl.

I know Wit beers are better when consumed on the young side and was wondering if it would be alright to just keg it tonight or tomorrow in order for it to carb up and be ready for consumption on Friday afternoon.

I live in San Antonio and its Fiesta here this week, so the entire city has the day off Friday for Battle of Flowers. I am having a house party to mark the "every one has the day off" occasion and it would be nice to have a new beer on tap for the event!

:tank:

Thoughts? Below is the recipe for reference.

Thanks!

4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
4.00 lb White Wheat Malt
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked
1.00 oz Strisslespalt [3.50 %] (60 min)
0.50 oz Strisslespalt [3.50 %] (15 min)
0.50 oz Strisslespalt [3.50 %] (5 min)
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5.0 min)
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
16.00 oz Bitter Orange Marmilade (Boil 5.0 min)
1.00 lb Agave Nectar

1L Starter Wyeast Labs #3463 (Forbidden Fruit)

2 Weeks fermentation, 2 + weeks carbonation.

I Ferment my Wits for 2 weeks, put 'em in the keg, and start drinking them after they have been carbonating for two weeks.

Truthfully it gets better after week 3 in the keg, nevertheless is still delicious!

Witbiers are meant to be drank young, and not conditioned or aged for long periods of time.

I wish all beers were that way :(.

If I am able to do a stout in 13 days kettle to pint (including a secondary!), I'm SURE you can do a yeasty wit in 10 days.

Transfer to the keg when the yeast cake as thickened/fallen, force-carbonate at the right pressure for the style + temperature while rocking it. Let it sit for 2 days in the fridge. Pour off the first pint of yeast. Enjoy.

M_C
Heh, my beers never last 3 weeks in a keg!

But back to the original question.. CAN I do it in 10?

Ferment for 6-7 days, hopefully you will get full attenuation in that time, then keg it at 30 psi for 2 days and shake it up some, then reduce to normal carbonating/serving pressure, you can probably get a drinkable beer in 10 days, won't be ideal, but I don't see why not.

That is considering you already have a starter going and such. (ie. all you have to do is brew, chill, pitch and ferment).

Thats more or less what I was thinking, but I figured it would be best to ask some more seasoned brewers on the subject. Your suggestions are pretty much exactly in line with my plan of attack!

I hope it turns out well, it should be quite the panty dropper. *snicker*

Thats more or less what I was thinking, but I figured it would be best to ask some more seasoned brewers on the subject. Your suggestions are pretty much exactly in line with my plan of attack!

I hope it turns out well, it should be quite the panty dropper. *snicker*

All you need to do now, is make a "panty-dropper" label for your tap handle!:rockin:

That could be a very interestingly shaped tap handle...

get a barbie doll, draw a vagina on it with a sharpie, and snip and glue a patch of hair down there, and put her on the tap handle with her panites around her ankles. Instant hilarious tap handle, and in good taste!

I'm a genius!:ban:

Just fished out a sample for the refractometer, 7.5 brix. With the OG, Beer Smith thinks its at 1.005 and 8.69% ABV :drunk:

The low gravity isn't totally surprising with me mashing in on the low side, and 2lbs of fermentable adjuncts :rockin:

I'm going to kegg it here in a few... as soon as I float the brown ale in the keg... I have a buddy on the way to assist in the kegging/drinking :tank:

I will do another hydrometer reading and brix reading to confirm the numbers.

LOL, just took a final reading while kegging. 7.0 brix, 1.010 SG. That puts OG at 1.057, which makes a lot more sense.

Either way, this girl be done!

Ohm and kegged ;-)

Yes you can. I brewed a Porter and opened my first bottle 9 days after brew day. Definitely wasn't as good as it could have been, but still tasty.

Yea, I racked a blonde that finished at 1.009 onto 12 lbs of strawberries, yesterday I reacked it to a tertiary after about 2 weeks on the strawberries, the gravity is about 1.007, so it is slightly drier than I wanted, but I mashed at like 150°f or so, 4.68%ABV accordingto my numbers, it is supposed to be a sessionable summer beer.

FWIW, smells like strawberry preserves, but needs some aging as the flavor is not quite there yet.

Back