Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How far to fill a barrel?

View Poll Results: What should I do?
RDWHAHB 0 0%
Get off your lazy a$$ and fill it! 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
TheBreweryUnderground
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default How far to fill a barrel?

So I picked up a 5 gallon bourbon barrel yesterday from FEW Spirits in Evanston and filled it up today, but didn't make it all the way. I tried making a 6 gallon batch, but with a long boil I underestimated my evaporation rate and ended up with much less wort. I thought I had at least five gallons, but it seems as though it's not quite. The barrel is filled to about an inch from the top, so I don't know if it's that big of a deal or not. Since the barrel is fresh I'm not planning on leaving the beer in there for too long before I fill it up with something else. I could do a mini batch if needed but it would be a pain, especially if it was unnecessary. What should I do?

“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
TheBreweryUnderground
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Another option would be to top off with a Braggot I'm bottling tonight.

“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply