Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How to: dry hopping??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2014, 01:44 AM   #21
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty_dog_68 View Post
Attachment 185224

I tried dry hopping an IPA for the first time using 1 oz of fuggle leaf hops and a muslin bag. I fermented in a bucket/primary for two weeks and then racked over the hops in a carboy. It was a pain in the a$$ to get the bag in the carboy(and I probably contaminated the batch...even though I washed my hands very well before the ordeal). So, my question is how do you get the hop bag in to the fermenter? Or Is it best to dry hop in a bucket? Thanks in advance.

The object of life is not to arrive at the grave intact and with a well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, beaten up and broken down, screaming, "holy ****! What a ride!"
Fellow brewer,
I used to dry hop with leaf and pellets and worry etc. Then l learned there are hop oils available to totally eliminate the dry hop problem. Since then I have been a very laid back old man. Beer judges can't tell the difference.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 02:33 AM   #22
Roadie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by budonze View Post
I was given this piece of advice by the gentleman at my local HBS. I have not tried it yet, but plan to when I brew my next ipa or apa.

He said to add the hops to your primary fermenter when it is done fermenting. Leave it there for no more than 3 days then rack over to secondary for aging and cold crashing. He said by dry hoping this way you will eliminate the piney flavor that often comes with dry hopping for too long.

Like I said... I haven't tried yet but I know that on previous IPAs I've made I let dry hop a week or longer (because I was out of town) and the piney flavor was very predominant.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Why the hell would you age an IPA? Cold crash in primary and keg.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

Almost Famous Brewing Co.

Check out our E-brewery.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #23
catdaddy66
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default How to: dry hopping??

Bottled my first IPA a week ago. Dry hopped an ounce of centennial for 6 days. When the primary was cracked open, I had an explosion of citrus aroma! This is a 2Hearted Ale clone, btw.

Can't wait (but I will, dammit!) to taste it!

Actually, I'm attending my first ever beer tasting on 4/26/14 at the newest LHBS near me. Bringing this years varieties of Cream of Three Crops, the clone above and an APA honey. Hope they go over well.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 04-21-2014, 02:44 AM   #24
hnycrk
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Primary for three weeks, rack to keg and dry hop right in the keg. Less chance of oxidation in my opinion. IPA's are best fresh to keep that nice hoppy aroma and flavor. I don't care about clear beer, especially in an IPA. Some of the best IPA'S I've ever had were not clear. Hope this helps some.

Quick Reply