New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How do you like to transfer from kettle to primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2006, 04:46 PM   #1
ayrton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How do you like to transfer from kettle to primary?

I tend to carefully pour the wort directly from my brew kettle to my primary, but I read somewhere on here that aerating the wort while it's too hot can be bad for it. Is a ladle preferable? It's one of those funny little parts of my brewing that I've never bothered to really analyze before.

Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 92

If you can chill your wort while it's still in the kettle, that's preferred. If doing a partial boil, do your ice bath before transferring and hot side aeration's a non-issue. Full-boils, you really should have an immersion chiller or CFC. An immersion chiller, you really WANT to cool the wort in the kettle, you place the chiller in the wort while it's still boiling to sterilize it.

If your wort is chilled before transferring, you can beat the hell out of it (literally, some people use whisks and stuff) while transferring to get it aerated.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I cool the wort first, then just dump it in the primary and add make up water to the 5 gallon mark. Makes for good aeration without a stone.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
Wheat King

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i put my brew pot into an ice bath, then i pour it into my primary like a maniac.

Conditioning:
Drinking:
Next:

Old 11-15-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I've been full boiling lately (still on extract but practicing for when I go all grain) so I use an immersion chiller in the kettle. Then I pour the cooled wort into my primary through a coarse strainer being careful to leave as much hops and break in the kettle. I'm not anal about it though because I don't mind getting it into the primary since I'll get the beer off it when I rack to secondary. If you're not using a stone oxynation system or an air pump, etc, you're gonna want to slosh the crap out of that cooled wort anyway. Pour it from high up and let it foam away.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 11-15-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

I cool it in the kettle with an immersion chiller & then just let it splash into the fermenting bucket. I still aerate before pitching.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-15-2006, 05:35 PM   #7
JimiGibbs

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Once mine is cool, I take the immersion chiller and slosh it up and down quite a bit to aerate. Then I sometimes pour back and forth from pot to fermenter bucket. As long as I'm below 80 degrees .... Lots of aeration.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:10 PM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 52

My brew kettles have valves on them, so I gravity feed or pump (depending on the size/location of the boil) through a counterflow chiller into the fermenter. I don't worry about a bit of splashing since it's cooled when it gets to the fermenter. I then aerate with an O2 tank and stone.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:30 PM   #9
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just cool the brewpot and the ~2 gallons of wort in the icebatch to 70-80, then dump into primary aerating as much as possible.

If I don't make a starter for the yeast and just rehydrate it before pitching, then I aerate the wort even more (directly) after I pitch the yeast by stirring vigorously with sanitized spoon or putting a lid on and sloshing her around...

Old 11-15-2006, 11:16 PM   #10
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I connect the CFC to the spigot on the kettle, and open the spigot. I also have a false bottom in the kettle, and use whole hops. This prevents the hops clogging the chiller, and filters out a lot of the hot break material. I do however get most of the cold break in the fermenter.

-a.

Quick Reply