Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How do you get your wort to carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
jerly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How do you get your wort to carboy?

I use a cfc and I don't have a spigot in my brewpot so I have to use a siphon to get from the pot to the carboy. I have a wort wizard setup right now that works great, but I want to start using better bottles, and they can't hold up to the pressure. One of my carboy appears to have a small crack and that is starting to scare me. So, until I get a brewpot with a spigot, I'm stuck with the siphon method. I think.

Do any of you use a better method in transferring? It would be nice if I could use Better Bottles.

Editing this to mention that I plan on buying a bigger/better pot before a pump.

Last edited by jerly; 08-20-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 968 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You're right, you can't use the wizard with a better bottle (it collapses). The only thing I can figure is that you can use the suction port of the wort wizard to pull a vaccuum directly on the output line of the CFC until you see wort flowing into the wizard. Immediately pull the hose off and put it into your carboy to continue draining.

The big problem here is that you're now on pure gravity. Your kettle will need to be relatively high up for it to flow well. You'd still have this issue with a bulkhead drain on the kettle. Many of us found this problem and answered it with a March 809 pump.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-20-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've got a 50L SS MLT with a false bottom and spigot. I dump the wort into it when it's cooled down, and the false bottom acts as a filter for some of the solids. I then put the MLT on a table and position the carboy below the spigot with a strainer funnel in the neck, and proceed to drain it into the funnel thusly:

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-20-2007, 11:16 PM   #4
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I whirpool after my wort is cooled and let settle. Then I just siphon
into my fermenter with my auto siphon. Simple.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 08-20-2007, 11:25 PM   #5
Kayos
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I use this setup and LOVE it! Aerates and autosiphons...

http://morebeer.com/view_product/15778/

with this

http://morebeer.com/view_product/15779/

Old 08-21-2007, 02:27 AM   #6
jerly
Recipes 

I don't think I was very clear on my first post. I am basically asking if anyone has some better ideas for my situation than what I've come up with, as far as using a cfc and a pot without a spigot. I would like to start using better bottles but with my setup as it is, I can not. The pressure from the wort wizard would crush the better bottle. (At least thats what I've read.)

Another alternative would be attaching an extension tube to the tubing coming out of the cfc, and sucking on it the old fashioned way, but that seems worrisome to me.

Is there anyone in my situation that has figured out a better way?

Thanks

Old 08-21-2007, 02:50 AM   #7
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerly
Another alternative would be attaching an extension tube to the tubing coming out of the cfc, and sucking on it the old fashioned way, but that seems worrisome to me.
This is essentially what I do. I have a copper dip tube into my kettle. I have a hose barb on the outlet of the CFC to which I attach a short piece of sanitized hose. I suck on that hose to start the syphon, then pull it off as soon as I see the wort enter the top of the CFC.

I drain into a bucket so I don't bother with another piece of tubing to go into it (just free-fall through a strainer) but there would be plenty of time to attach one if I wanted to before the wort started leaving the chiller.

It's just by gravity but I can drain the 23L from my kettle to my primary in a little under 20 minutes.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 08-21-2007, 03:01 AM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerly
I don't think I was very clear on my first post. I am basically asking if anyone has some better ideas for my situation than what I've come up with, as far as using a cfc and a pot without a spigot. I would like to start using better bottles but with my setup as it is, I can not. The pressure from the wort wizard would crush the better bottle. (At least thats what I've read.)

Is there anyone in my situation that has figured out a better way?

Thanks
I gave you one. Use the suction of the wort wizard to start the siphon, then let gravity do the rest.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-21-2007, 03:15 AM   #9
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I gave you one. Use the suction of the wort wizard to start the siphon, then let gravity do the rest.
Bobby -- how does this work with the better bottle that he wants to use? He is asking how to use the wort wizard together with the better bottle.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:28 AM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
Bobby -- how does this work with the better bottle that he wants to use? He is asking how to use the wort wizard together with the better bottle.
It's not ideal but I suspect using the wort wizard to suck start the siphon is better than putting your lips on the tube. The downside is that once the siphone is started, he'd have to just let gravity run it. Alternatively, you could transfer into a bottling bucket using wort wizard suction then pour into a better bottle through a strainer afterwards. It's just one extra step but a pain in the ass.

New Stuff?

Quick Reply