The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How do you draw your hydrometer samples?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
Quaffman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

When I took the samples they tasted great, but bottled about 1 weeek later in both batches and they seemed "off". I had a bottle yesterday and it seems like it may have gotten slightly infected. This was the first time I tried the turkey baster method and never had a problem before. I also see the ring in the bottle necks which seems to indicate a problem.

Ill be brewing another batch in a couple of weeks and see if the problem continues. I'd like to prevent any further bad batches so I'm trying to hone in on the issue. That seemed like the first place to start. I'm rhinking the rubber bulb may have been an issue, even though i boiled it before sanitizing it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
Malticulous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
This basically following Revvy's technique. My thief leaks back like mad though unless I give it a couple good twists when putting it together.

Oh and be sure to drink the leftovers. Helps learn how things taste along the way and can give you an idea how your beer is coming along.
If you turn it upside down as soon as you pull it out it won't leak much. I have my sample tube right by anyway. It not been a problem for me.

Most of the time I sample as it's racking. I still don't spill much.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #13
medley
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I thoroughly sanitize my wine thief and hydrometer. Take the reading right in the wine thief then "I know I'm risking contamination" release the sample back into the fermenter.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:44 AM   #14
HDChef
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used to use a turkey baster. Then SWMBO took it to use on a turkey . I'm probably going to replace it with a wine thief.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:49 AM   #15
smellgoats
Recipes 

I used my wine theif once and the cap on the end of my siphon came off inside it. I guess they are ruined wtf! N00b

Old 03-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #16
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffman View Post
When I took the samples they tasted great, but bottled about 1 weeek later in both batches and they seemed "off". I had a bottle yesterday and it seems like it may have gotten slightly infected. This was the first time I tried the turkey baster method and never had a problem before. I also see the ring in the bottle necks which seems to indicate a problem.

Ill be brewing another batch in a couple of weeks and see if the problem continues. I'd like to prevent any further bad batches so I'm trying to hone in on the issue. That seemed like the first place to start. I'm rhinking the rubber bulb may have been an issue, even though i boiled it before sanitizing it.
The problem is with your sanitation, not with the turkey baster. Just like a crappy golfer blaming/upgrading his clubs.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #17
Quaffman
Recipes 

Well since I haven't had a problem with any previous batches until I used this method that's about all I can attribute it to.

Thanks for the encouragement. Its always nice to see other brewers trying to help others out!

Last edited by Quaffman; 03-15-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #18
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Sorry didn't mean to sound like an a-hole. I used to use the thief, but ended up having to dip it a few times to get enough for a sample, so now i just sanitize a dry measure cup (8 ounce volume) that's all I need. Not the most ideal since you have to open the whole lid (not really possible to do with a carboy) but its been working fine.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #19
beertastic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

A really long turkey baster I got from my lhbs.

I'd love some sort of a sampler that has a little latch or something that closes so I can just do one dip with no drips. Bonus points if I can just drop the hydrometer in the top of it so I don't even need two containers.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #20
Quaffman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertastic

I'd love some sort of a sampler that has a little latch or something that closes so I can just do one dip with no drips. Bonus points if I can just drop the hydrometer in the top of it so I don't even need two containers.
That is essentially what a wine thief does. The only problem I've had with it is collecting a large enough sample in a single dip to take a proper gravity reading.

Quick Reply