New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How do I lower the Magnesium Levels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #21
Synovia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Less expensive RO units are not for 'realtime' usage. The one I had in Las Vegas was good for about 20 gallons a day. Looks like you can get a 3-stage 50 GPD system for ~$250. I paid much more for less, but that was 19 years ago.
75GPD is about the standard, and you can find good units for $150. Cheap units for under $80.

RO/DI, for all intents and purposes is about the same as distilled (from the store). Not semiconductor grade (unless you buy a good RODI unit), but better than we need.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #22
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

A note about holding tanks. The 20 gallon diaphram tanks are like $200. The upside is that they maintain pressure so you can put them at ground level and still fill your HLT from there. An alternative is to use any old food grade barrel and feed it with a float valve in the sidewall. The downside is that you'll have to either pump out of it or mount it up high for gravity drain. The upside is $20 valve + sometimes free salvaged barrel...

Kent Marine Float Valve Only, Black ABS

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #23
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Speaking of holding tanks, how long can I store water in a tank? If I was to get a food grade drum, haul water from the city water at work, fill the drum. How long could I leave it before it was bad? It would be either outside where the Iowa temperature swings or inside the garage, a bit more stable but still could get to 80*F +.

That would not be the ultimate solution, but would be a start in the right direction.

I appreciate all of the discussion here, very helpful.

Quick Reply