Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How do I increase mouthfeel?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Murray
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How do I increase mouthfeel?

I brewed a standard bitter on Saturday. I hit OG 1.037, and a targeted FG of arround 1.008 for a light (3.6% ish) bitter. It is only 2 days into fermentation and the fermentation is going along nicely (around 1.017 at the moment) and I tasted the beer briefly after tapping it into the hydrometer. It tastes great - everything I wanted from hop balance on the palate are there and the fruity esters my yeast is known for arer showing through nicely. The only thing is, it tastes a little watery, and lacks mouthfeel. Now I mashed at 70C for 90 mins, so should be pulling a reasonably dextrinous wort through, but can't help but feel a little worried.

I usuallly make darker ales and heavier beers. Do you think I will get better mouthfeel as we condition and the beers carbs up? If not, is there anything I can do now (ie after 2 days in primary) to boost mouthfeel? Chuck in some maltodextrin perhaps?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 695 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I'd say leave it be. After a couple months in the bottles, it'll be a totally different beer and you'll probably love it.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 416

First, it is definitely true that a flat, un-matured beer will seem light in the mouth feel in general... so that in itself is not a major indication. Even though a carbonated beer is technically less dense the CO2 will by it's nature will increase the mouthfeel.

SG 1.037 / 9.25Plato is a relatively low gravity beer and won't be very dextrinous no matter what you do.

What was your grain bill? I assume that, being in the UK, you probably used a British malt for your base. If you haven't already been using it, you could try adding some cara-pils to your grist.

Shortening your mash will help. If using a good, fully modified malt, 30 minutes is plenty. I do 30 + maybe a 5-10 minute vorlauf to clear my wort, then run off to the kettle. Whether in a commercial brewery or at home I never go beyond 60 minutes.

Not sure which yeast you are using ( nor did I take time to figure out your projected degree of apparent attenuation, I'm lazy! ) but if you use a yeast that is lower attenuating you will obviously have more mouthfeel in the end.

As far as doing anything to THIS batch now that it's in the primary, I wouldn't... let it be. The beer will be good, you will enjoy it and even if it isn't 100% exactly as you wanted it you will be able to use it as a jumping off point for your next one.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 01-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Murray
Recipes 

Thanks Guys. I used Wyeast 1318 which has an attenuation of 71%-76% apparently. I used 4.5kg maris otter and then 0.5kg crystal malt. I think it is going to be good

Quick Reply