*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How can I improve my brewing process and my beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Mario-Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Get this book. Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles. It's got a lot of good info. it's like $14.00 at amazon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 756 Times on 634 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Go to the nearest hardware store and ask for 5 gallon paint strainer bags. They should come 2 in a package. Use your 5 gallon pot and do a half-size batch all grain (2 1/2 gallon batch). You'll need the grains crushed and a decent thermometer that is accurate. You can use a small digital thermometer but something you can leave in the water/wort is nice to have. Use software to determine the temperature for strike water (it calculates the water temperature so when you add the grains your mash will be right at the temp you need). Stir the grains in well, cover and insulate (towel, blanket, sleeping bag, etc) and leave it for an hour. Pull the bag and drain it, squeezing out all you can and you've just done a no sparge BIAB all grain. Minimal expense, low investment in case it doesn't turn out good since you only used a small amount of grains (don't worry, it will turn out).

Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
micfiygd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for all of your great suggestions everyone!

Old 02-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #14
Sevenal
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hop combinations have really suprised me in that flavor profile are unique for the same hops by changing the amounts and hop addition timing to include pre- boil 150 degree wort addition while waiting for the second run on the grain. The subtle combinations of two of three different types of hops can be magic.

Quick Reply