Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hot as Heck Brewday Documentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
Grasslands
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hot as Heck Brewday Documentation

So yeah, I thought I'd wait until the hottest weekend of the year to document a brewday for one of my newest recipes: an Imperial Red. Tried to make it a live-bloggy type thing too. On top of that, the SWMBO got horribly sick and our A/C decides to go south of the border. Awesome.

Anyways, rather than clog up the forums, the evidence of my labors is here...the longest post ever!

Should the impy red do this brewer proud, I'll post the recipe!

Prost!

GrassLands Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I brewed today too, and it was over 100 degrees in my garage during the boil, about 90 outside. Thankfully the humidity was rather low.

I was in FL about 3 weeks ago and the temps were about 95 during the day with about 70 degree dew points. Nasty!

Old 07-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 836 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

I brewed two days ago at about 90. I've been brewing inside for the last few years, but lost my space so this was my first outdoors brew. Honestly, the heat was easy to deal with. All I could think about was trying to keep a boil when it's 25º in February. But the summer really doesn't matter to me because I have a dedicated fermentation freezer. I guess it's much worse for people without those.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Yeah my buddy and I brewed a total of 15 gallons in near 100 degree temps yesterday. Two burners in a garage makes for a hot one.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-01-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 999 Times on 614 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Brewed in 102F to 105F temps on my back patio three times in the last few weeks! We do everything in those types of extremes around here, so no big deal. The hardest part is chilling, since my ground water is about 80F. I have to use a pond pump in an ice bath. I plan on brewing this 4th of July. The forcast is 97F, and I consider that to be a nice, cool day!

Old 07-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, this FL heat was no joke. It also seemed like when I got started Friday that it was just one thing going wrong or delaying me after another. The air conditioning going out was probably the worst. Ugggh.

Otherwise, I did end up with 7 gallons of Imperial Red. Thankfully I had a leftover yeast cake to dump the extra gallon onto from a red rye batch fermented with White Labs 004 Irish ale yeast. Now it's turned into a fun experiment! Impy Red on 001 and 004... We'll see how they go!

GrassLands Brewery

Old 07-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

For any interested, the Le Roi Rouge Imperial Red brewed on the hottest day of the year has dropped from 1.070 to 1.013 (76% attenuation) in just under a week and tastes somewhere in between Lagunitas' Imperial Red and Fort Collins' Red Banshee at the moment.

Thank the lord for Willamette hops! Can't wait to see how this sucker finishes up!

GrassLands Brewery

Old 07-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasslands
for any interested, the le roi rouge imperial red brewed on the hottest day of the year has dropped from 1.070 to 1.013 (76% attenuation) in just under a week and tastes somewhere in between lagunitas' imperial red and fort collins' red banshee at the moment.

Thank the lord for willamette hops! Can't wait to see how this sucker finishes up!

image-2771321884.jpg

GrassLands Brewery

Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I've been mostly avoiding these hot days by working on my keezer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-08-2012, 03:29 AM   #10
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Like Revvy, I've been avoiding these hot days. But, I'm not working on my keezer. I'm working on my ulcer by sucking back my homebrews!

Quick Reply