Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Horrible tasting Ale? Just add coffee!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 03:17 AM   #1
DarkNoonBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Horrible tasting Ale? Just add coffee!

Hey folks, first time thread here. January, I brewed a 10 gal Belgian Strong ale. It was the first time I ever tried making a yeast starter, and I kinda sensed that things were off to a bad start. The starter didnt really smell like good yeast, and it didnt quite perform the way I thought it should. I used it anyway when brew day came around, and as a feared, the beer didnt ferment very strong at all. I waited it out, and kegged 4-6 weeks later anyway. It was in a conical. As months went on, it still tasted under attenuated and overall like a horrible beer. So tonight, i was forcing down a pint sip by sip and I thought to pour in some left over coffee into my pint from this morning. WOW what a great decision! It really balanced out the overly sweet and subtle sourness resulting from the poor attenuation. I then brewed up a very strong batch of coffee and added it to the entire keg. Bad beer fixed! I might add more coffee later on, I just have to wait and see how the flavors mellow out for now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 03:20 AM   #2
GroosBrewz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Way to be creative and save the brew.. I don't know that I personally will be dumping coffee into any of my brews anytime soon, but good to know regardless!

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply