Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hops in pot after flameout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
MGR72
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hops in pot after flameout?

Hey, I have a question about what the standard practice is for most of you.
In most recipes and instructions I've read the hop schedule is pretty straightforward add x at 60min y at 15min z at 5min etc....

I understand the bittering/flavor/aroma compounds are all different and utilized at different temps/boils which brings me to my question. What do you do at flameout? Remove hops immediately? Allow them to soak some more while everything cools? I would think that for the bittering it probably doesn't matter so much, they've allready been in there a while. But when going for delicate flavor/aroma, do you need to remove the hops after just 5 minutes to preserve the oils?

Sorry if it seems like a silly question, just trying to get all the variables down!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

After the boil stops, oils don't evaporate out much at all, there is no reason to remove them.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 08-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

It's the oils in the beer than provide flavor/aroma. Removing the hops at flameout won't change what's already dissolved.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think he's asking about flame out additions.
I often add some hops at flame out. They stay through the cooling process, and in my case, all the way through fermentation because I don't use a hop bag, nor do I strain wort going into the fermentor.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
I think he's asking about flame out additions.
I often add some hops at flame out. They stay through the cooling process, and in my case, all the way through fermentation because I don't use a hop bag, nor do I strain wort going into the fermentor.
I just re-read the OP and I'm still not sure if he's asking about adding hops at flameout or removing hops from the wort at flame out.

If it's the former, just toss them in like any other addition.

If it's the latter, you can straing them out on the way into primary. I use a stainless strainer.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
jpuf
Recipes 

I just womped up a porter and forgot to add the aroma hops, so I dumped them into the carboy before I pitched. I don't mean to hijack, I hope this is related enough, How bad did I screw up?

Old 08-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post

If it's the latter, you can straing them out on the way into primary. I use a stainless strainer.
Or you can do what Kahuna does and I often do, and just dump into the primary, without straining.

It's all a matter of preference.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Leave the aroma hops in the kettle. What you do want to do is to cool the whole wort as quickly as possible. The longer it stays hot, the more aromas you lose. That is why hop backs are sometimes used. The hot wort goes into the hop back and then directly into the chiller so no aromas are lost.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 08-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
Leave the aroma hops in the kettle. What you do want to do is to cool the whole wort as quickly as possible. The longer it stays hot, the more aromas you lose. That is why hop backs are sometimes used. The hot wort goes into the hop back and then directly into the chiller so no aromas are lost.

Not to disagree, but that is not always true

My Fat Owl Pale Ale is my slightly tweaked version of Bob Girolamo's Sharks Tooth Pale Ale which was a Commercial brew in the mid 90's. { http://www.beerlabels.com/labels/bee...h-beer-co.html }
What makes the brew so special is the cooling of the wort to 180 and then steeping the hops for 30+ minutes. I was hesitant to try this, but it did really make a difference in the flavor and overall aroma

Quick Reply