Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hops in French Coffee Press Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Stormrider51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hops in French Coffee Press Question

I'm confused about the use of a french coffee press with hops. I put in bittering hops at the beginning of the boil, flavor hops for the last 15 minutes, and aroma hops for the last 5 minutes. I don't see how the press would save me anything unless I'm using the same hop for all three. What am I missing here?

Thanks,
John

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

you can put the aroma hops in after fermentation has completed so you don't loose as much, you can use less hops for the same effect as far as aroma goes, and flavor to a smaller extent.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 10-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

People usually use these post fermentation to make hop teas to add to finished beer. There isn't so much of a use for one during the boil, because then you might as well just throw them in.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishprune View Post
People usually use these post fermentation to make hop teas to add to finished beer. There isn't so much of a use for one during the boil, because then you might as well just throw them in.
And you can use different hops for each tea giving a different flavour, kinda to trial what a beer would taste like with "this" late hops addition.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
Stormrider51
Recipes 

Okay, I think I understand. I was told that the idea was to take the bittering hops, make a tea to get the flavor/aroma essence, then throw the hops into the pot for the boil. That sounded okay until I got to thinking about it. I often use one hop for bittering and another for flavor, etc. I couldn't see where there was any advantage.

Thanks everyone!
John

Quick Reply