Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hops flavor & late addition extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
Unferth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Hops flavor & late addition extract

Hop oils bind to molecules in the water, right?

Therefore, if I add extract after I do a mini mash (5lbs grain) there should be more particles for the oils to bind to and thus more hop bitterness and flavor, right?

But, I have had much better success at adding extract late, like at flameout, to prevent excess darkening of beer and adding more unfermentable sugars.

Or, do hops absorb better in water without extract?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Trail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

My grasp of the chemistry involved is limited, but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth View Post
Hop oils bind to molecules in the water, right
No, man. Oil doesn't bind to water. That's why it floats.The oils bind to particles of yeast in suspension, and either drop out when the yeast flocculates or floats on the surface to provide hop aroma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth View Post
Therefore, if I add extract after I do a mini mash (5lbs grain) there should be more particles for the oils to bind to and thus more hop bitterness and flavor, right?
Yes, but nor for the reason you think. Due to complicated sciencey stuff, you need a certain amount of malt in order to extract the desired alpha acids from your hops. Past a certain point, though, more malt means there's less room for hop extraction to take place.

This means that doing most of your boil with a thinner wort will result in higher hop utilization, which means more bitterness. It's not going to provide as much benefit to flavor because the flavor compounds are more volatile and boil off the longer they're in the wort.

What does this mean, practically? Well, if you're doing a 60-minute boil, don't add your extract until the 10-minute mark, five minutes or so after you add your flavor hops.

Kegged: Scottish Ale
Bottled: Honey Saison
Primary: Honey Steam Pilsner (Still!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply