Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hopbursting - Just Late Addition?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #21
smizak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarillo4BRKFST View Post
Well if a good vigorous fermentation robs flavor - then why not make every hoppy beer 'hop tea'd'? Granted I have found little to no reliable info on how to successfully impart great hop flavor with the tea, and even when I find someone who gives detailed instructions and reports results, half the posters on the thread vehemently disagree.

I know adding no hops pre-primary seems extreme but if it drives off flavor why not add them all after primary? Am I going crazy?

Just dump 4 oz. of hops in your next beer at flameout and you will have none of these concerns anymore. Trust me.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #22
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I think you're vastly overestimating the amount of flavor and aroma that is lost during primary fermentation. It's really not that big of a deal. Sure I guess you lose a little, but it's been like that since beer was invented (well I guess since people started adding hops to beer actually, but that's still a really long time) so recipes and general brewing practice account for that.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #23
Amarillo4BRKFST
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I will go ahead and put some more trust in conventional technique - and rev up the additions @ flameout. Will report results.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I wish there was more debate on the issue of lost flavor during primary going on out there. I am still really curious about it.

In fact I am going to add Cascade @ flameout to the pale ale that is currently mashing.

You know you're a beer enthusiast when while 'ice-bathing' your porter, the kitchen sink collapses, and your primary concern is contamination.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #24
smizak
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarillo4BRKFST View Post
I will go ahead and put some more trust in conventional technique - and rev up the additions @ flameout. Will report results.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I wish there was more debate on the issue of lost flavor during primary going on out there. I am still really curious about it.

In fact I am going to add Cascade @ flameout to the pale ale that is currently mashing.
Nice! Don't be afraid to add too much!

You can't do anything about the aroma lost in primary anyway. The best advice I heard was from Tasty Mcdole. If your recipe isn't hoppy enough, just add more hops!

Old 07-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #25
worthogg
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

what is your transfer process like? I saw you used a secondary. Are you careful to purge O2? Oxidation can do bad things for hop flavor and aroma. Also, do you whirlpool? Hopstand?

Old 07-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #26
Amarillo4BRKFST
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have not whirlpooled/hopstanded until this very day with a PA I made - and unfortunately I do not purge O2 - I try to prevent oxidization in ways I know how but have not encountered any information on how to purge O2 while transferring wort/beet or otherwise. Is there a good thread I should know about?

Thank you

You know you're a beer enthusiast when while 'ice-bathing' your porter, the kitchen sink collapses, and your primary concern is contamination.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:20 AM   #27
Amarillo4BRKFST
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I went ahead and added an oz each of Cascade/Amarillo just a few min post FO in addition to another oz each @ 5 min. This pale should be good. Thanks Smizak

Old 07-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #28
smizak
Recipes 

Let us know how it comes out

Old 07-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #29
skullface1818
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I always go with the hop-bursting method and really have seen nothing wrong occur. I've only recently gotten into hoppy beers, so I really haven't even been pushing things far enough to give a good recommendation, but I recently did a big black IPA brew with heavy hop bursting and dry hopping (only one ounce of pellets for the dry tho), so Ill see how that turns out.

I;m hoping for one huge, hoppy brew.

I'm kegging it up today, so I should have an answer for how it is in about a week or so ^_^

Old 07-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #30
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 52

When I first read about hopbursting it was this article and this recipe:
http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

Though it has 5oz within the last 20 minutes. I found it to be underwhelming. I think the true hoppy beers need include that bittering 60 minute charge and also dry-hopping.

Quick Reply