New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hopbursting, Hop stand, and bitterness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
chocotaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Hopbursting, Hop stand, and bitterness

I just got a chance to finally taste my carbed-up coffee IPA. I was trying to get close to Dayman so I targeted around 43 IBU with a huge Cascade/Citra hop burst and a big hop stand of the same at flameout.

The flameout hops were set to "Aroma Steep" so Beersmith didn't calculate any bitterness from them. But man, there is way more than 43 IBU in there. I'm convinced that the flameout hops contributed a fair amount of bitterness during the hop stand. Also I'm convinced that since I didn't do any additions before 20 minutes, the hops that were already in there from the 20 minute addition continued to contribute bitterness during the hop stand even though the heat was off.

Is there any rule for calculating bitterness from flameout hops and continued bittering from late additions during a hop stand? Or any better way to get them in Beersmith in order to get a more accurate calculation? Or maybe I am doing the hop stand wrong?

There is always trial and error, I guess...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
IL1kebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hops isomerize at temps below boiling. I forgot what temps but I think they go as low as 140 (I could be wrong on the exact number but you can research it on the web). Isomerization is what adds bitterness so if you are letting the hops steep at near boiling then you are getting bitterness. Keep in mind that the rest of your hop additions are still isomerizing during this time as well so that's probably why it came out extra bitter.

What temp are you steeping at? If you are hopbursting just skip the steep since hopbursting provides a great deal of aroma and flavor as it is. IMO you should chill as fast as possible after flame out to prevent isomerization so that you can "lock in" the flavor and aroma. It you don't chill fast that flavor and aroma will be lost and replaced by bitterness.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

It could be polyphenols from the hops that can contribute to the "perceived" bitterness. They don't add actual IBU's, but it tastes like they did. You can get this during dry hoping as well. The polyphenol levels vary from hop to hop, and unfortunately there is no convenient source for that data that I have seen.

Primary: Ger. Pils , OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), Saison
Brewing soon: light beer - yes, light beer, Saison
Recently kicked : ( Kolsch, IPA, Holiday Saison, Baltic porter,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 10-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
bmick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hops isomerize at temps above 170, but this is very tricky to calculate. I think Mitch Steele's IPA book has some info on it, but you can definitely get significant bittering from hop stands/hop backs if your whirlpool is held above 170 for a long period. A lot of brewers, however, prefer this, and only do small bittering additions early in the boil and then large additions late to achieve their total IBU count.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
chocotaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just wanted to say the new Beersmith update (2.2) has made a start at calculating the bitterness from a hop stand. I would like to see it more involved (like you could enter a temperature/time curve for your hop stand and it would calculate the IBUs you get from it) but it's a start!

Old 11-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmick View Post
Hops isomerize at temps above 170, but this is very tricky to calculate. I think Mitch Steele's IPA book has some info on it, but you can definitely get significant bittering from hop stands/hop backs if your whirlpool is held above 170 for a long period. A lot of brewers, however, prefer this, and only do small bittering additions early in the boil and then large additions late to achieve their total IBU count.
This is what I do with my APA recipe. I only need 0.6oz of bittering hops for an 11 gallon batch and then the 3oz at 15min and 4oz whirlpool definitely shoot the bitterness up to the targeted 35.

Next up: The Hops of Wrath (DIPA)
Primary: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Spring Amber Ale)
Secondary:
Bottle Conditioning: Spring '14 Kolsch, Swamp Monkey Belgian Golden Strong, Vienna Lager

Old 11-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
Malty_Dog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocotaco View Post
Just wanted to say the new Beersmith update (2.2) has made a start at calculating the bitterness from a hop stand. I would like to see it more involved (like you could enter a temperature/time curve for your hop stand and it would calculate the IBUs you get from it) but it's a start!
LOL I logged on a few minutes ago just to say the same thing

They use a 194 deg F as the steep/whirlpool temp from what I can tell. I liked where it put my numbers for my HT clone

"Just brew it"

Fermenter: American IPA, Yooper's Hoppy Amber
Bottles: Belgian Dubbel, Rye Pale Ale, Dark Mild

Old 11-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 79

the past 8 beers i brewed got not hop additions at all during the 60 minute boil. the first addition is at flame out and they go from there out to 25-30 minutes. 4 of the kegs are gone and were, to me, indistinguishable from any other beer i've brewed in bitterness. the aroma and flavor of the hops, i claim, are more intense. i put a lid on the keggle after each addition. since the hops are never boiled i wonder if the aroma/flavor compounds stay in the beer better? i'm no scientist so i have no idea but it is more intense to my senses.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
stevedasleeve
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts

IBU calculations are truly semi flawed models. You really need to trust your taste and work from there. When brewsmith calculates 90 Tinseth IBUs and 57 Rager IBUs... You can't go with either! Brew enough and the bitterness you perceive will be a guide. IMHO.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:08 AM   #10
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocotaco View Post
When someone actually figures out what the IBU addition is, then I guess they will add it. I don't know that anyone really knows the effect. I would even guess (I don't know) that the BeerSmith numbers are only an estimate, and not based on empirical data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedasleeve View Post
IBU calculations are truly semi flawed models. You really need to trust your taste and work from there. When brewsmith calculates 90 Tinseth IBUs and 57 Rager IBUs... You can't go with either! Brew enough and the bitterness you perceive will be a guide. IMHO.
The Rager, Tinseth, and Garetz models are the only ones that are currently available, and are the best that we have. They are all based on data, but I guess the amount of data is limited. I generally switch between Rager and Tinseth, depending on whether I am bittering early or hop bursting; I find Tinseth greatly over-estimates the IBUs from late hops.

You need to find what seems to work for you and use that.

Quick Reply