New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hop Tea and cloudiness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Default Hop Tea and cloudiness

I tried making a hop tea and adding it at different times and I'm getting some extreme cloudiness from it. The first hop tea was just boiling the hops for a few minutes and letting it settle, then pouring the decanted liquid. The other two times I used a new French Press. I've added it late in the primary (when there was still a little bit of fermenting left), added it in a secondary, and added it when racking to a keg. All are really cloudy.

I've tried gelatin but that doesn't seem to affect it much if at all. Is this cloudiness most likely polyphenols? I added polyclar to one of the kegs last night so we'll see if that clears it up.

Is this typical?
Is there a way to reduce or prevent it?
Is there a particular fining agent that works best?

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

How many hops are you using for the tea?

I can't imagine just an oz or two clouding up 5 gallons of beer? Or why that would cloud up more than if you added it during the boil?

I seem confused on this too...

Old 12-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Not even that much cford, I used no more than .75 oz in any of them. The tea was fairly cloudy and yellow with a slight green tint.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Quick Reply