Hop Tea for Bittering... Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmit209

Reaction score
I made a Vanilla-Hazelnut Brown Ale recently. I over did the flavoring, and now it tastes syrup-y sweet. I boiled two whole vanilla beans (halved) and used 2oz of hazelnut extract flavoring. I cooled that mixture and added it directly to the secondary fermenter at kegging time.

I would like to add some bitterness to off-set the overly sweet flavor. I've heard that making a "hop tea" with some high AA hops could accomplish this. However, I have no idea on hop quantity, type (pellet, leaf, etc.), water volume, or boil time. I don't want significant hop aromas, just to cut the sweetness. Any recommendations on hop type or procedure? I will use a french press to eliminate any residue.

Boil an ounce of magnum in a six cups of water for 40 minutes. That'll drive out any aroma and nearly all of the flavor characters (and magnum being fairly neutral there shouldn't be much left but bitterness).

You should be left with about a quart of extract. Quietly pour a quarter of the extract into your batch, stir gently, and taste a sample. Add more extract if desired...

Cheers!

Boil an ounce of magnum in a six cups of water for 40 minutes. That'll drive out any aroma and nearly all of the flavor characters (and magnum being fairly neutral there shouldn't be much left but bitterness).

You should be left with about a quart of extract. Quietly pour a quarter of the extract into your batch, stir gently, and taste a sample. Add more extract if desired...

Cheers!

Would you recommend using a french press to prevent any residue from entering the kegged beer? Will the volume loss be due to evaporation during the boil?

I made a Vanilla-Hazelnut Brown Ale recently. I over did the flavoring, and now it tastes syrup-y sweet. I boiled two whole vanilla beans (halved) and used 2oz of hazelnut extract flavoring. I cooled that mixture and added it directly to the secondary fermenter at kegging time.

I would like to add some bitterness to off-set the overly sweet flavor. I've heard that making a "hop tea" with some high AA hops could accomplish this. However, I have no idea on hop quantity, type (pellet, leaf, etc.), water volume, or boil time. I don't want significant hop aromas, just to cut the sweetness. Any recommendations on hop type or procedure? I will use a french press to eliminate any residue.

I have found that vanilla and flavor extracts diminish with time, you may not want to do anything to it. Or as a test, bottle some off to age and treat the rest.

You could keep some of this on hand for future use: Hop Extract

I have found that vanilla and flavor extracts diminish with time, you may not want to do anything to it. Or as a test, bottle some off to age and treat the rest.

You could keep some of this on hand for future use: Hop Extract

I've heard this about the flavors, but these are extreme. They completely override any other flavors. I need to bitter them out a bit. The hop oils and extracts look interesting... I'll have to check into those when I make a double IPA.

Would you recommend using a french press to prevent any residue from entering the kegged beer? Will the volume loss be due to evaporation during the boil?

Press, filter paper, fine mesh strainer - whatever you want to work with will be fine as long as it's clean and sanitized. If a few bits of hop find their way into the keg it won't be the end of the world ;)

It's been awhile since I did this myself (must be five years back now, when I brewed a rather insipid wheat beer that came to life with another 20 IBUs) but as I recall I did boil off around two cups of water in ~40 minutes, hence starting with 6 cups to end with around a quart to work with.

You don't want to brew up a lot of water as you'll be watering down your beer while trying to boost the IBUs; otoh, if you start with too little water the extract rate will suffer, and you may end up with stew instead of tea ;)

Cheers!

Press, filter paper, fine mesh strainer - whatever you want to work with will be fine as long as it's clean and sanitized. If a few bits of hop find their way into the keg it won't be the end of the world ;)

It's been awhile since I did this myself (must be five years back now, when I brewed a rather insipid wheat beer that came to life with another 20 IBUs) but as I recall I did boil off around two cups of water in ~40 minutes, hence starting with 6 cups to end with around a quart to work with.

You don't want to brew up a lot of water as you'll be watering down your beer while trying to boost the IBUs; otoh, if you start with too little water the extract rate will suffer, and you may end up with stew instead of tea ;)

Cheers!

I boiled 6 cups with the ounce of Magnum, but with around 15 minutes left, almost all the water had boiled off... very strange to lose that much water.

I boiled 6 cups with the ounce of Magnum, but with around 15 minutes left, almost all the water had boiled off... very strange to lose that much water.

Wow - that really seems extreme. How big of a pot did you use, and how hard of a boil? I'm pretty sure I used a two quart pot and kept the boil to just above a simmer as there wasn't a lot of freeboard at the beginning.

Your extract rate probably went to heck, but you could thin you "tea" out enough to work with. A full ounce of Magnum with a good extract rate is good for around 40 IBUs in a 5 gallon batch, and I doubt you're looking for much more than half that anyway...

Cheers!

I'm not sure of the exact pot size, but the boil was rigorous. I'm sure the extract rate was rather poor. However, I ran it through a micro-mesh filter twice and ended up with about 2/3 pint. I added that to the beer, and from the initial taste, it is much better... I'm going to give it a couple days and check again.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back