Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > hop tea added to the keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
killian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default hop tea added to the keg?

I heard about a method of using a french coffee press and making hop tea to evaluate hop flavor. I have tried this a couple of times and found that there is bitterness extracted as well as flavor.

I had a belgian tripel that ended up with a high final gravity and Im wondering if I added a bunch of hop tea to balance the sweetness if this would be more palatable.

any thoughts?

damn I gotta brew something

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

People have used hop teas successfully to increase bitterness in a batch. More palatable? One can only experiment.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have experimented quite a bit with both dry-hopping and hop teas. Here's my take:

- Both add hop aroma and some flavor.
- Both will change your beers taste immediately, and it won't be pleasant right away. Let the tea of dry hop work, and add a couple of weeks to mellow before drinking.
- If the hop tea is made with very hot/boiling water, there will be some bitterness added, although not as much as you think. Again, do not think you can add the tea and drink right away. It will change the flavor in a strange way. Let it sit for a couple of weeks.

That's my take! Hope it helps!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2eng View Post
- Both will change your beers taste immediately, and it won't be pleasant right away.
That's good to hear... I was expecting magic immediately after dry hopping my belgian pale ale with 2oz of saaz, and it didn't seem quite right. It's been a week since the dry hopping, I guess I'll have to test it again.

Quick Reply