Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hop stand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 03:32 AM   #21
HopHoarder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

About 3/4 of my beer are hoppy IPAs and I've found that first attaining around 75% of my desired IBUs through First Wort Hop (FWH) makes for a smoother bittering backbone. Then my late additions (the other 25% of my IBUs) go in at 15, 10 and 5 min, then a hopstand. Generally I'll add about .75oz/ gallon 15 mins after flameout and let it sit covered for around 30 mins before sending the wort over to the cooling kettle. I also like dry-hopping around the same .75oz/ gallon ratio. Helps to buy hops by the pound

In Secondary:Rakau/ Kohatu (Kohatu-Jak) IPA
In Secondary: Flanders Reds
[B]Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Porter[B]

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #22
pharaohpierre
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I did a hop stand a few months ago on an IPA I was doing. My main question is if the CO2 pushes out alot of the hop aroma early on. The beer smelled great with big hop notes for the first few days of fermentation. After that, the hop aroma really went away and never returned. How are you guys getting such great hop aroma from a hop stand?

Old 05-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #23
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have done this technique a few times. Last time, I cooled the wort to 180 prior to putting the hops for the stand in. I put in 3 oz of hops for the stand, and then hit the brew with 5 oz of hops for a dry hop after fermentation was complete. Goooood stuff!

Old 05-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #24
merline
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm also planning to try this technique. I do my hop-boils by putting my hops in a hop sack. Would this work ok with a hop stand? Or should I plan to go naked - uh... with the hops, that is? Thanks for the advice!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #25
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I always use a mesh bag for the boil. Then, I pull the bag used in the boil at flameout and start to chill to 180. Then I put the hop stand hops in using a different mesh bag.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #26
highland_brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I love the technique... I have pumps and can do a psuedo whirlpool. Adds major aroma, as well as increses the bitterness. I think I will do it on all my IPA's as well.
I do also hop right in the keg and that takes it to the next level.

My basement brewery build
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/new...-build-399130/

Old 05-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #27
merline
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thanks Devin. That's just was I was thinking to try. Happy brewing!

Old 05-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #28
ZeMadMonkey
Recipes 

I used hopstands with my last two brews, an IPA and a Pliny The Elder clone. I was originally reading about this technique in Stan Hieronymus' For the Love of hops and then shortly after I read the article in BYO. I haven't experimented with different temperatures yet. I just shut off the heat and then added my Flame Out hops, stirred for a few minutes, put the lid on, and let it sit for 30 min before chilling. I can say that I will never brew an IPA or DIPA without using a hopstand, the results are amazing! I dare say any hophead who smells the results of brewing with a hopstand will be jumping up and down from excitement.

Even after fermentation and before dry hopping there was a much stronger and fuller hop aroma than I have ever had with any IPA I have brewed.

I didn't dry hop the IPA and it had a wonderful aroma to it when it was time to drink. I did dry hop the Pliny The Elder clone recipe, a 2 stage dry hopping. I dry hopped in a secondary for a week and then put some hops in a stainless steel teaball and dropped it in when I kegged. The teaball stayed in the keg for the life of the beer. The smell from the Pliny The Elder clone was so amazing, I couldn't believe how well it came out. It was the freshest most wonderful hop smell coming from the beer, a hop bouquet if you will.

I think putting a small amount 3/4-1 oz of hops and dry hopping in the keg, in addition to a regular dry hop schedule, is something I am going to do with all IPAs and DIPAs as well. The stainless steel teaball kept all the hops inside and only received a minuscule amount of hop debris in my first two pints from the keg, the rest was clear. When I finally finished the keg and cleaned it out all the hops were in the teaball still and no mess at the bottom of the keg.

Hopstands -> YES!
Dry Hopping in Keg -> YES!

Old 05-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #29
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yep. I also dry hop in the keg. Dry hop at room temp for about 4 or 5 days, then put it in the keezer and leave the hops in there until the keg kicks. Delicious.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #30
Holy_Hops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm planning on giving this a shot, but I have a quick question about it...

If you chill to 180ish and then do your hop stand does that negatively affect the formation of cold break and/or beer clarity?

I guess I've never really heard a good answer as to what specific temp. & time the wort needs to hit in order for the cold break to form & coagulate.

Quick Reply