Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hop stand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #151
gometz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 75

42000 lb of water can hold a LOT of heat, plus the minimal surface area and they likely use insulated kettles. They probably don't even drop more than 1-2 degrees.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #152
pharaohpierre
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I have read this whole thread, interesting stuff. Definitely going to try. My question is, while doing a hop stand, should I put pellet hops is a bag or just let it loose and collect it with a whirlpool? Or it doesn't matter either way?

Old 10-27-2013, 03:18 AM   #153
wyobrewer1
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharaohpierre
I have read this whole thread, interesting stuff. Definitely going to try. My question is, while doing a hop stand, should I put pellet hops is a bag or just let it loose and collect it with a whirlpool? Or it doesn't matter either way?
Seems to be purely personal preference. Before I had a strainer when pouring wort from the kettle to fermentor I would use a bag. Now that I have a strainer I just throw them all in.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #154
pharaohpierre
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 24

yeah, I like the sound of throwing them all in and letting them move around freely. thanks for the reply

Old 10-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #155
ahurd110
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just brewed a hopstand IPA on Saturday. 45 minute boil with a 40 ibu bittering addition and everything else post flameout.

4 oz of hops right after cutting the flame (mix of nelson, galaxy, amarillo, and simcoe), let sit for about 20 minutes with occasional stirring. No cover.

After 20 min the chiller was turned on and the wort was cooled to 165. Cut chiller, add another dose of hops, same amount and blend above. Let sit for another 20 min, covered, with more frequent stirring. Wort dropped to 145 during this time.

Finished chilling, dropped to pitch temp and threw some s-05 in. OG of 1.068. Fermenting away happily now. Will hit with 3 oz of dryhops after 14 days then rack to keg.

I will update how it turns out, this is my first time trying a beer with no aroma or flavor additions during the boil, and with a sub-60min boil.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #156
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

That sounds tasty. Did you calculate what ibu you'll get from the knockout addition? I've done plenty of hop stands but never a bittering and knockout addition like that.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:01 AM   #157
ahurd110
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmartin000 View Post
That sounds tasty. Did you calculate what ibu you'll get from the knockout addition? I've done plenty of hop stands but never a bittering and knockout addition like that.
I didn't, but I should. I'm guessing about 30 ibus at the most for about 60-70 all day. I'll go back and do the math and see what it is.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:03 AM   #158
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 443

I'm sorry if I missed this but I'm tired and trying to throw a brew together for tomorrow.

How do you guys account for bitterness with hopstands in Beersmith? It seems to make the calculating kind of tricky.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:19 AM   #159
NathPowe
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahurd110 View Post
Just brewed a hopstand IPA on Saturday. 45 minute boil with a 40 ibu bittering addition and everything else post flameout.

4 oz of hops right after cutting the flame (mix of nelson, galaxy, amarillo, and simcoe), let sit for about 20 minutes with occasional stirring. No cover.

After 20 min the chiller was turned on and the wort was cooled to 165. Cut chiller, add another dose of hops, same amount and blend above. Let sit for another 20 min, covered, with more frequent stirring. Wort dropped to 145 during this time.

Finished chilling, dropped to pitch temp and threw some s-05 in. OG of 1.068. Fermenting away happily now. Will hit with 3 oz of dryhops after 14 days then rack to keg.

I will update how it turns out, this is my first time trying a beer with no aroma or flavor additions during the boil, and with a sub-60min boil.
This is going to be awesome. Well played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsguitar View Post
I'm sorry if I missed this but I'm tired and trying to throw a brew together for tomorrow.

How do you guys account for bitterness with hopstands in Beersmith? It seems to make the calculating kind of tricky.
I generally do a 15-20min whirlpool/hopstand for IPA's and other hop-centric beers and I add 3min to every addition (60=63, Flameout=3) in Beersmith (Tinseth). I came up with this by starting with info from a few different threads on this site, and then combining that with continued brewing on my system. It makes beer that I like drinking. I say this because, to me at least, it seems like there's no wrong way to account for it in Beersmith - you just need to be consistent/pay attention/take good records so you know what values in Beersmith translate to the flavors you enjoy.

Just my two cents.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:30 AM   #160
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 443

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathPowe View Post
I generally do a 15-20min whirlpool/hopstand for IPA's and other hop-centric beers and I add 3min to every addition (60=63, Flameout=3) in Beersmith (Tinseth). I came up with this by starting with info from a few different threads on this site, and then combining that with continued brewing on my system. It makes beer that I like drinking. I say this because, to me at least, it seems like there's no wrong way to account for it in Beersmith - you just need to be consistent/pay attention/take good records so you know what values in Beersmith translate to the flavors you enjoy.

Just my two cents.

Awesome reply, thanks!

I had just plugged in 5 minutes, so I was thinking in the right direction.

I think I'll do something similar to the poster you quoted above. Just wanted make sure I didn't undershoot my bitterness by too much.

Quick Reply