Hop Pellets vs Hop Leafs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurtonBrews

Reaction score
I am relatively new to brewing (two batches), and I am looking at using a recipe that I found here on HomeBrewTalk for an IPA. I am researching buying hops online, and was curious as to what anyone has to say about pellets vs leaf. Is there a difference in the technique when hopping? How about the amount of hops necessary.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

BurtonBrews

With whole leaf hops you'll want to use a hop bag during the boil, whereas with pellets you just throw 'em in a stir. Also, pellets are supposed to get ~10% more AA utilization.

Actually until I used a plate chiller I tossed in leaf hops without a bag. Pellets go in a bag for me now as well as leaf. I prefer leaf, but pellets are easier to store and measure out. All in all I could use either one and have both in my freezer.

Actually until I used a plate chiller I tossed in leaf hops without a bag. Pellets go in a bag for me now as well as leaf. I prefer leaf, but pellets are easier to store and measure out. All in all I could use either one and have both in my freezer.

Me too. Until I had a counterflow chiller (which clogs with too many leaf hops), I never bagged them and in fact leaf hops work great in boil kettles with a false bottom to "set" a filter bed up. You don't have to bag the hops at all, unless you want to or if you have clogging issue.

I use them pretty interchangably, depending on which varieties have which available.

Back