Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hop Pellets - Strain the Wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #21
Improbable
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusty83 View Post
that strainer isnt going to strain any pellet hops. I got a funnel at the local brew shop that came with a detachable integrated strainer. Its very fine, made of nylon and looks almost like a thin bedsheet. This type of strainer gets all the hops out. Unfortunately, its an annoying process since it gets clogged up immediately so you have to keep dumping it, increasing the risk of contamination. I would use the vortex method or leave it in wich is what I do. I seperate it when I transfer for bottling. Its only logical that leaving it will probably cause your beer to be slightly hoppier, which I would call a bonus. However, its only logical that it may impart some sort of off flavor depending on your fermentation practice.
I use a similar strainer to the one in the picture (mine's slightly smaller and doesn't quite sit on the lip of the bucket unless I add an extra support - I may hit Target looking for this one). Metal mesh. It strains out a whole crapload of pellet hops. To the point where it clogs up and I have to clean it 2-3 times just to pour a 3 gallon boil into the primary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #22
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooompa Loompa View Post
Holy thread ressurection batman!!!
Yeah. Everyone tells the newbs to use the search, so they do.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #23
tedclev
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a stainless strainer just like EdWort's (purchased at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $10). Yeah- awesome investment. It gets 99%+ of the pellet hops out and def helps aerate the wort. I often reuse the yeast, and some beers I brew sit on the primary cake for three or four weeks, so it's really important to me not to have a bunch of hop trub sitting and creating acrid off-flavors. Also, the strainer works really well if you have other additions in your boil- such as lemon or orange zest, basil, heather tips, etc....

Old 11-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #24
StAnthonyB
Recipes 

When using hop pellets put them into fine mesh nylon bags.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #25
gusty83
Recipes 

wow that must be a seriously tight mesh strainer. i just did a sculpin clone with separating the trub before primary. well see if theres any difference from my last beers which have all been with the hops left in. I like to do 3 weeks primary 1 week secondary with dry hop.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #26
statseeker
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What about using a coffee filter by doing the tea bag method (minus dry hopping)? Put the pellet hops in the coffee filter, close it up with wire or string and add them to the boil as you need to as long as the wort is boiling. The oils from the hops will make it into the wort while the trub will be left behind. I plan on utilizing this method when I do my brew this weekend.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #27
Bonnevillain
Recipes 

A coffee filter would be too small; you'd get lousy utilization.

Try this:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Hop_Filter

~$18 at your local hardware store. Five-gallon paint strainer bags will go all the way to the bottom of your kettle and allow the hops to move loosely.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #28
tedclev
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yeah- that looks like a really good option too- probably better than the strainer. I love my strainer, but when pouring through it into the fermenter it will often clog with hop sludge and splash some of the wort onto the floor. I might be heading to my LHS soon for a strainer bag. How durable is the bag, though? How many times can it be used before it's crap?

Old 11-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #29
greyhoundbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

can you line the strainer in #15 with anything... perhaps a few layers cheesecloth and a stocking?? would that remove the trub and hops??

Old 11-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #30
Bentpirate
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Try 5 gallon paint strainer bags from HD or Lowes. You can get everything you need from either place.....

ziggy zaggy ziggy zaggy oi oi oi

Quick Reply