Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hop pellets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
sundaybrewingco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Hop pellets

Just thinking back on my IPA I made on Sunday, I realized I never put the hop pellets for dry hopping in the refridgerator. They are still sealed. If I put them in the refridgerator today are they still OK to be used? or should I buy some fresh ones for when the time comes.. They have been room temperature for 4 days...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If they are in the original mylar nitrogen-flushed sealed bag, they're just fine.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
sundaybrewingco
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
If they are in the original mylar nitrogen-flushed sealed bag, they're just fine.
I'm not sure if it nitrogen-flushed, but I know they are in a vacuum sealed bag from my LHBS. Still good to toss them in the fridge after 4 days?

Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaybrewingco View Post
I'm not sure if it nitrogen-flushed, but I know they are in a vacuum sealed bag from my LHBS. Still good to toss them in the fridge after 4 days?
Yup - they're fine. If they're vac-sealed, you have no reason to worry. Oxygen does far more damage to hops than four days at room temp.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaybrewingco View Post
Just thinking back on my IPA I made on Sunday, I realized I never put the hop pellets for dry hopping in the refridgerator. They are still sealed. If I put them in the refridgerator today are they still OK to be used? or should I buy some fresh ones for when the time comes.. They have been room temperature for 4 days...
They are definitely completely worthless pieces of junk. They will completely ruin your beer. You better send them to me for testing in my upcoming IPA.

Seriously, they're fine. Probably a good idea to put them in the fridge/freezer but after only a couple days, I'm sure there be no difference at all.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

they are fine just think of it this way if being at room temp a few days ruined hops there would be no way to order them online. if the seal is still intact nothing to worry about

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply