Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Which Hop IBU formula do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 12:31 AM   #11
Bromley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive
Problem solved (hopefully)
Yeah, thanks for the help. Now I just need 30 bucks to buy the hops for the recipe!! Stupid hop shortage.

Next Up: American IPA, Bock, Belgian Blond Ale
Primary: Saison
Secondary: Bohemian Pilsener
Bottle Conditioning: Dragon's Milk (100% Maris Otter and Kent Goldings, 1.084) and subsequent small beer, Berliner Weisse
Drinking: Spiced Pumpkin Ale, Maibock, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Hefeweizen, Weizenbock, Kolsch, The Bitter Truth, Altbier, Special Bitter, EF Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008, 12:40 AM   #12
Bromley
Recipes 

ProMash asks for a concentration factor when you switch to Tinseth. Anyone able to explain what they're talking about. Are you leaving it at the default 1.3?

Next Up: American IPA, Bock, Belgian Blond Ale
Primary: Saison
Secondary: Bohemian Pilsener
Bottle Conditioning: Dragon's Milk (100% Maris Otter and Kent Goldings, 1.084) and subsequent small beer, Berliner Weisse
Drinking: Spiced Pumpkin Ale, Maibock, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Hefeweizen, Weizenbock, Kolsch, The Bitter Truth, Altbier, Special Bitter, EF Clone

Old 01-10-2008, 12:47 AM   #13
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd say, stick with one and adjust to taste. I'm using Tinseth (b/c its the default) and I know that the calculated IBUs for my beers are quite far off from similar commercial examples with the same IBU number.

Tinseth, Raeger and the third one are home brewers with access to a lab were they can run IBU measurements. Their series take only time and gravity into account, though another major factor is pH. I e-mailed Glenn Tinseth once trying to find out if he measured the pH of the wort for his experiment and he didn't have that number. His numbers can be found here . He also wrote me that he measured the IBUs pre fermentation. The literature suggests that during fermentation about 30% of the IBUs are lost which surprises me since from my experience Glenn's IBU numbers turn out lower than what I would expect by comparing to commercial examples.

Kai

Old 01-10-2008, 12:48 AM   #14
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromley
ProMash asks for a concentration factor when you switch to Tinseth. Anyone able to explain what they're talking about. Are you leaving it at the default 1.3?
This may have to do with the fact that Tinseth IBUs are pre-fermentation IBUs. I don't know about the other ones though.

Kai

Quick Reply