Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hop Growing in Pennsylvania

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #31
SixFoFalcon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I has forgotten about this thread! Almost 4 years ago I planted Cascade, Centennial, Goldings, and Nugget. I don't remember if it was draught or insane amounts of rain, but that first year was a really tough year for crops. The Goldings never really took off. The Nuggets started out well, but then basically died off before flowering. The Cascades and Centennials were strong from the start despite the poor conditions.

Second year, the Centennials just didn't come back, or maybe they came back but were really weak, I don't fully remember.

The Cascades are still kicking ass even though I don't do much for them. I just cut them back in the fall, top dress the area with compost, then more compost in spring and give them a trellis to climb.

On tap:Witbier, American Stout, Imperial Stout, Root Beer

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon
Next: US IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #32
gavball6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixFoFalcon View Post
I has forgotten about this thread! Almost 4 years ago I planted Cascade, Centennial, Goldings, and Nugget. I don't remember if it was draught or insane amounts of rain, but that first year was a really tough year for crops. The Goldings never really took off. The Nuggets started out well, but then basically died off before flowering. The Cascades and Centennials were strong from the start despite the poor conditions.

Second year, the Centennials just didn't come back, or maybe they came back but were really weak, I don't fully remember.

The Cascades are still kicking ass even though I don't do much for them. I just cut them back in the fall, top dress the area with compost, then more compost in spring and give them a trellis to climb.
I am about to order three crowns to plant in SE PA this year... I think I am going to go with Cascade, Centennial and Perle.

SixFoFalcon,
How tall a trellis are you using? Are you pretty much letting them do their thing without any training ropes?

Old 02-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #33
SixFoFalcon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm on my third iteration of a trellis, and this one's a keeper. It's probably about 15' high and the hops would love to go at least another 5' if I had the room.

The trellis consists of one telescoping aluminum support, with about a 4' length of square aluminum tubing mounted horizontally at the top. I run 6 or 8 lengths of bailing twine from the top support down to one of those corkscrew dog leash anchors which is about 1' in front of where the hop bines emerge. Once the bines get about 3' long I'll get them started training up the twine and the rest is up to mother nature.

I'll try to remember get some pics this spring when I set it up.

On tap:Witbier, American Stout, Imperial Stout, Root Beer

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon
Next: US IPA

Old 04-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #34
WissahickonBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default How tall are your hops now?

It's April and my 3 hops vines are almost 12" long! I have a 16' tower erected for the twine and have begun twirling. I am in Philadelphia. How are yours doing?

Old 04-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #35
ffaoe
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 21

My two cascades did decent last season for their first year. I had them in pots and they were limited in how high I was able to let them grow. This season I moved them to South Jersey and repotted them in much larger pots. I was actually able to cut a new rhizome off the one so I'm up to three. This year they will have plenty of room to grow with about 20 feet of twine to grow up.
From what I'm told they were at about 6 inches earlier this week and about to be started up the twine.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #36
WissahickonBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Do you have them in pots in order to keep them portable? Mine are in the garden next to my veggies. This is my second growing season too and they are WAY ahead of last year at the same time. I'm growing Perle, Cascade and Centennial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaoe View Post
My two cascades did decent last season for their first year. I had them in pots and they were limited in how high I was able to let them grow. This season I moved them to South Jersey and repotted them in much larger pots. I was actually able to cut a new rhizome off the one so I'm up to three. This year they will have plenty of room to grow with about 20 feet of twine to grow up.
From what I'm told they were at about 6 inches earlier this week and about to be started up the twine.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #37
ffaoe
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yes, I kept them potted. The new pots are much bigger this year, about 4 or 5 gallons in volume. I'd definitely prefer to care for them myself this year but where I'm living now I really didn't have any good space to grow them last year. They have plenty of room to grow where they are at now.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #38
HALIFAXHOPS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Most of mine are around 12" and going. The cascade are 5 yrs and the rest 2-3 yrs. I am way behind on the field this year. Need to get the twine up this week. If anyone needs rhizomes still have alot of them yet to be dug.

Got Hops?

There is no problem to big or small not to be fixed by enough beer!
Just do not have your beer held hostage by the wife or you will never get anything halfway done!

Last edited by HALIFAXHOPS; 04-18-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: added info

Old 04-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #39
WissahickonBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have room for 1 or 2 more plants, what varieties do you have?

On a gardening note: I heavily mulched the garden with fall leaves over the winter and dumped ashes from the wood burning stove all winter. I uncovered the shoots when I suspected there might be some growth and they took off like crazy. I worked a ring of hummus/manure around each plant and they seem be enjoying it immensely. I was concerned with applying a chemical fertilizer for fear of salt burns. Otherwise the hops are enjoying several years of soil conditioning from my tomato, pepper and eggplant gardening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALIFAXHOPS View Post
Most of mine are around 12" and going. The cascade are 5 yrs and the rest 2-3 yrs. I am way behind on the field this year. Need to get the twine up this week. If anyone needs rhizomes still have alot of them yet to be dug.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #40
HALIFAXHOPS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Here is what I still have. I am asking 3 ea and 5.35 for shipping 15 for 5.85. Cascade I will do 4 for 10 due to how may I have.
Here is a list of what I do have now. Pm me with want
CASCADE
CENTENNIAL
COLUMBUS
FUGGLE
GLACIER
GOLDINGS
HALLERTAU (US)
MAGNUM
TETTNANG
WILLAMETTE
NUGGETT

Got Hops?

There is no problem to big or small not to be fixed by enough beer!
Just do not have your beer held hostage by the wife or you will never get anything halfway done!

Quick Reply