Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > hop bag filter... and yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
jwheeler85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default hop bag filter... and yeast

I've read a few posts saying that a hop bag can be tied onto the end of the racking cane when transferring from secondary to bottling to filter out the particles left over from dry hopping. I'm curious though... to hear from those who have actually done this... does it also filter out a lot of the yeast needed for properly carbonating?

On a broader note... is it really worth doing this if my beer was fairly clear going into secondary and I plan on dry hopping with 1/2 oz of pellet hops for about a week? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for clearer beer... I'm just a bit nervous when it comes to trying out new techniques. Want to be sure that I fully understand what this level of filtering will do to the end product.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
clept
Recipes 

When I'm worried about hops and other partials I've used a grain bag inside of my bottling bucket to remove the excess. Never had any problems carbonating in the bottle after using this method.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
chainsawbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

just siphon into one of those funnels on the side of your bottling bucket with the screen filter in it. you may have to stop and clean the filter a couple times, but that's worked for me.

my bar build

Old 07-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4621 Times on 3355 Posts
Likes Given: 905

I've done it when I've used a ton of hops, but it really isn't that necessary if you don't have a ton of floaties. It doesn't screen out the yeast at all, as yeast is microscopic.

I think Biermuncher has a picture in his gallery of how he does it. I'll see if I can find the picture.

Edit- here's one:

Quick Reply