Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Homebrew making me sneeze and throat itch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2004, 09:24 PM   #1
mehere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Homebrew making me sneeze and throat itch

I'm making my first batch of homebrew from a beer making kit. I was at the last stage where I had to siphon the beer (in a very crude manner using my mouth - not sure how that can be sanitary; I'll have to come up with a better system.) into bottles and tasted the beer. It had an immediate reaction that made my throat itch and I was sneezing for several minutes after. I wonder if this could be a sign that it has been infected with bacteria or unhealthy yeast? It tasted ok. I'm not sure if I want to drink it now. Hubby is brave; he will probably try some.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2004, 10:04 PM   #2
Kotzbrocken
Recipes 

I had a similar problem with a batch a while ago. My best guess is that either I failed to rinse out all the cleaning solution (I used bleach) or contamination when I bottled it (had a cold at the time). Just take more care with sanitizing everything, it will all turn out well in the end.

Old 12-12-2004, 03:51 AM   #3
mehere
Recipes 

Do you mean that this batch will turn out ok, or that I'll get the hang of it and subsequent batches will turn out ok?

Old 12-12-2004, 04:10 AM   #4
Kotzbrocken
Recipes 

If you had a reaction to this batch, it may very well be ruined. Let it condition in the bottles for a few weeks and if you still have a reaction, then you did make a mistake somewhere along the line.

Sanitation is both the easiest and most important part of brewing. I've always used the "One step no rinse cleanser" (until I ran out and had to use bleach). You can find it here (or at your local homebrew shop):
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...p?category=270

Also, as far as bottling, a better way than using your mouth to start it would be a "Auto Siphon" and a "bottle filler," found here:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...ing.asp#Bottle Fillers

Hope I was some help. Don't get discouraged and good luck.

Old 12-12-2004, 04:57 PM   #5
Ken Powers

Recipes 

I have a very slight grain allergy. I still love beer, however. Most of the time I am fine but every once in a while, I run across a recipe (or for that matter, a commercial beer) that causes my sinuses to swell up a little and makes me sneeze. It is possible you have the same problem. If another person tries your beer and has a similar reaction, it may be the beer. If they don't, you might have the same problem I have. However, if you have never experienced this problem before (with a commercial beer for example), ignore my response.

Old 12-13-2004, 04:34 PM   #6
Rahbek
Recipes 

I agree with Ken in the above post; your reactions the beer sound very much like an allergy to me too.

I'm convinced that the reactions wheren't caused by failing to rinse out sanitizing agent; unless of course your are allergic to them, in which case it might be a different matter.

I think that a good way to check it out is to let your husband try, if the beer tastes ok, it probably is ok. If you are still concerned over your recation contact your physician and bring a list of the ingredients in the beer. Have you ever had a similar reaction to commercially produced beer (I take it you havn't?)

Best regards,

Christian rahbek

Old 12-13-2004, 05:35 PM   #7
mehere
Recipes 

I've never had that reaction to beer. Unrelated, I have that reaction to coffee, but I still drink it.

The other thing was that there was a little scum where the foam line was. I would expect this is normal, is it?

I do have a chemical sensitivety to bleach, but this had some other sanitizing agent. Is there any way to sanotize without leaving the agent in the brew besides bleach?

Yvonne

Old 12-14-2004, 03:10 AM   #8
Ken Powers

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehere
I've never had that reaction to beer. Unrelated, I have that reaction to coffee, but I still drink it.

The other thing was that there was a little scum where the foam line was. I would expect this is normal, is it?

I do have a chemical sensitivety to bleach, but this had some other sanitizing agent. Is there any way to sanotize without leaving the agent in the brew besides bleach?

Yvonne
You should try using Iodophor as a sanitizer. It is no rinse, leaves no flavor behind, and eliminates that bleach aroma. I think it is way easier to use.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:27 AM   #9
mehere
Recipes 

Rahbek, Funny I never remember having an allergic reaction to beer before - then tonite I 'm drinking Penn Pilsner (a local company) and I keep sneezing as I'm drinking it. Still wonder if this is allergy to ingredients or faulty brewing.

Old 12-16-2004, 04:14 PM   #10
Ken Powers

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehere
Rahbek, Funny I never remember having an allergic reaction to beer before - then tonite I 'm drinking Penn Pilsner (a local company) and I keep sneezing as I'm drinking it. Still wonder if this is allergy to ingredients or faulty brewing.
I discovered, via my wife, that it is not uncommon at all for adults to develop allergies later in life (say around 30 or so). I have had them for my entire life but she developed them at about 35 years of age and has had some miserable times of the year because of it. I know that people develop food allergies later in life as well (such as shellfish allergies).

Quick Reply