Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Home Brew Secrets for the Married Man

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2006, 04:23 AM   #1
digdan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Home Brew Secrets for the Married Man

You expect many sacrifices being married, but let this guide help you on marriage and homebrewing...

Here is my guide to finding harmony between homebrewing and married life.

First and foremost, use propane and a high BTU burner to brew your beer outside. This keeps the mess out of your wifes kitchen, and also the smell. I've noticed that around 50% of women like the smell of brewing (my wife loves it, and its the reason she goes brewery hopping on our vacations). The other 50% HATE the smell and will avoid it at all cost. My buddy had to stop homebrewing because his wife detested the smell indefinably... poor guy.

Now that you have brewed the beer it comes to Sanitizing your equipment for the next batch. Unless you have a special area all of your own to rinse and clean equipment you have to make a deal with the Misses. Keep her area clean. I would wait until my wife would go on a walk or do something time consuming to clean my equipment, and she would never notice. My wife loves that I brew, but she *HATES* messes... her hate for messes hat makes her kitchen great to sanitize my equipment in.

This is the biggest point, in my view any ways... where to store the beer. I had to build a makeshift room attaching to the garage with a heater and a thermostat. I ended up throwing out a lot of batches (look at my signature) trying to get this method to work. The best way to contain an Ale is at room temps... the best way to contain a lager is fridge temps with a controller. Thus, ferment in the house, and stand our ground Fermenting beer does release some nasty smells, and women hate nasty (and if she doesn't then you're with the wrong woman) I had to sacrifice my work space as storage so I could use the space under the stairs as my fermentation area. Once a week I put an aromatic electric plug in to keep it smelling fresh (as fresh as rank yeast scents can accompany). If you have no space to sacrifice then try to win a closet(any closet). Good things come with sacrifices. And remember to keep the nasty smell away from her nose, and her area!

Once I had the physical aspects of brewing and marriage covered, it came down to the mental aspects. First, make sure you wife enjoys some kind of beer. Even if its Corona light, or Michelob Ultra. Take interest in what she likes in a beer and plan to brew a beer for her a clone every 3 to 4 months. Make sure to keep it very alcoholic for your pleasure .

You now have all the basics of a women covered. Its :

* No offensive smell
* No extra work for her
* Your brewing with her in your heart

Unless she is anti-beer, she will be flattered. And you can go on with your existence. This is the struggle which is man... keeping beer and women in harmony, good luck, and tell her I said HI

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2006, 04:37 AM   #2
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wonder if BYO has ever ran an article like this? If not, it might be a good idea....

Old 04-21-2006, 04:48 AM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

my guidlines are simpler because SWMBO likes beer, likes the smell, and is willing to take over clean-up duty for all stages of production. That's her contribution to the process.

SO, my only guideline is: find a beer style that SWMBO really likes, create and tweak a recipe to perfection such that it suites HER tastes, and brew that recipe every other batch.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:00 PM   #4
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

These threads always crack me up, because they're so different than the dynamics in my family. I'm far from a neat freak, but I'm a lot closer to it than my wife is. She couldn't care less what kind of mess I make as long as I clean it up. And I'm pretty-much in charge of the kitchen, so that's not an issue either.

Her big thing is the expenditures: I think she has this fantasy that homebrewing is for saving money vs storebought beer. That's true in a sense, but...

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 04-21-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
Brewiz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Or build you a brewshed like I did and move it all out there, except the final product ready for consumption. I also brew her a Stout once in a while so that she doesn't have too much to say about the time and money I spend at it.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
jldesign
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

<- indoor brewer. I hear no less than 25 times during and hours after cleanup how she hates that smell. maybe more like 35 times. anyway she deals with it by saying that 45 times maybe? or 55? 65? countless?

she enjoys the brew so it's all good

busy busy busy

Old 04-21-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san
my guidlines are simpler because SWMBO likes beer, likes the smell, and is willing to take over clean-up duty for all stages of production. That's her contribution to the process.

SO, my only guideline is: find a beer style that SWMBO really likes, create and tweak a recipe to perfection such that it suites HER tastes, and brew that recipe every other batch.
What does SYMBO mean?

Old 04-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #8
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopper359
What does SYMBO mean?
SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed

Old 04-21-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
budbo
Beer is good

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I appropriated a corner in the basement, set up shelves, then installed a utility sink next to the washer.. she gets to use "my sink" and me cleaning/sanitizing in the basement keeps her off my back. I brew outside, on the driveway so the smell is enjoyed by my neighbor (he likes it) not vented back into the house.

When I told her James is giving me a full sized fridge when he transfers to Korea, she asked where I planned to put it.. I hinted at the basement but told her probably the garage.. She then asked if I was going to use the freezer, told her just for storing hops.... She appropriated 3/4 of the freezer space and is going to let me put it in the basement....

Compromise for the Win!

Old 04-21-2006, 07:29 PM   #10
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Yeah, my wife doesn't care. She sees it as a hobby for me and an outlet with which to be creative. She knows that the money isn't eating into our baby formula budget so I don't get griefed over it. She finds it amusing and slightly dorky, but as long as I clean up, she doesn't care.

She's not a fan of my brews, but that's OK. She used to be a bigtime Miller Lite drinker but hasn't drank much beer since prior to being pregnant. She's more into red wine these days.

Some people have wives that pwn them. Mine stays amused by my antics. She knows I've given up smoking cigg's and pot for her so I don't get hassled for brewing. She's mentioned that she would like to find a hobby for herself too.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Quick Reply