Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hitting gravity - what about you?
View Poll Results: My approach to OG is
I want to match the recipe gravity exactly and am pissed if I miss target! 5 11.36%
I get in the general range of the recipe but relax, don't worry and drink a homebrew if I don't. 29 65.91%
I measure OG sometimes and other times, it is too late and too many homebrews later... 7 15.91%
OG, what is OG? 3 6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Hitting gravity - what about you?

When I brew, I record gravity but have written off differences between what I measure and what the recipe suggests to "lots of variables". I haven't been off by much, a point or two and usually above, which is good right?

Anyhoo... this thread got me thinking, what do you prefer and why?

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I personally break hydrometers too often, probably because I drank that extra homebrew!

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 12-31-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Recipe?

What's a recipe?

I haven't followed a recipe in twenty years, but Promash gives a pretty accurate estimation of the gravity.

-a.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Since I'm still new to AG brewing, I'm still dialing in my efficiency. As such, I know that the OG calced by BeerSmith differs from what I end up with - but as long as I'm in the style range and not off by that much (so that the BU/GU ratio gets whacked), I don't stress.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

I couldn't care less what my ABV is, I'm more concerned about taste. As an extract brewer+, there's not much to wonder about.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
mbreen01
Recipes 

In the grand scheme of things, I would think that this question really applies mostly to AG brewers. Us extract folk have it easy...my guys at Munton & Fisson's have my efficiency damn near 100%! wink wink. I do suppose that I'll eventually move on to AG and then I'll start to go gray worrying about all the subtle aspects of zymurgy. Until then, I'll content myself to drinking homebrew and forgetting to measure OG, and not measuring FG until I realize that I've already added priming sugar...and never correcting gravity based on temperature! I have enough stress in my life anyways!

Marc.

On tap & enjoying: Honey Wheat; Cheese's Caramel Cream Ale
Gone with a belch: Bock Talkit; Three Kings Better Bitter; Quake & Bake Oatmeal Stout; High Altitude Pale Ale
On deck: Garbage Pale Ale; Honey Wheat

Old 12-31-2006, 04:31 PM   #7
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 620 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I fall somewhere between answers #1 and #2. I don't necessarily get pissed about missing by a point or two, but I do shoot for an exact OG, and I do get a little disappointed if I'm off by more than about 2 points.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Only have done 1 Ag so far and I didn't even keep track that first time since I was more interested in getting a feel for the whole process as apposed to hitting numbers. I'm doing my next tommorrow and now that I'm back home and am able to control more of the environment I'll start lookng at all that.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:19 PM   #9
Hardball
Recipes 

I am an extract brewer and after 7 batches, I have never hit the OG. I come close which suits me fine, but in the back of your mind you wonder what you did wrong. I have never hit my FG either, this is where I get pissed off! I have been close but I am usually almost .005 off! Most of my extract brews say they should finish around 1.015 or lower, but I get around 1.020.

Next time I may pitch more yeast (I usually just do the 1 vial of Whitelabs that comes with the kit).

In the end the beer tastes fine which is my ultimate goal. People always ask what the ABV content is and I usually just say "around 5%". They get hung up on the ABV instead of the taste, but I am slowly changing my friends to appreciate taste more.

Secondary: Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Empty
Drinking: Commercial
RIP:English Special Bitter, American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, IPA, American Wheat w/Raspberry Puree, Oatmeal Stout, Summit IPA

Old 12-31-2006, 05:31 PM   #10
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 620 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardball
I am an extract brewer and after 7 batches, I have never hit the OG. I come close which suits me fine, but in the back of your mind you wonder what you did wrong. I have never hit my FG either, this is where I get pissed off! I have been close but I am usually almost .005 off! Most of my extract brews say they should finish around 1.015 or lower, but I get around 1.020.
This sounds more like hydrometer reading error than recipe error. Are you correcting for temperature? When are you measuring OG? When you measure FG, do you take several readings over the course of several days?

Also, if your readings are correct, your beers are finishing at way too high an FG. You should be seeing 1.010-1.012 (or less, even) for most 5%-ish beers (like the pale ale in your signature). Low attenuation is usually because of a poor environment for yeast to do their work. Are you aerating? How? Are you keeping the temperature around 65-ish (for ales)?

Quick Reply