Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > High protien levels in DME?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2005, 10:36 PM   #1
Sir Sudster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default High protien levels in DME?

The last two starters I have made and the last two primers I made have had what looks like high coagulated protein in them. I only boil my primers and starters for 10-15 minutes. I have never seen so much gunk come out of 7.5 oz of light DME. Has anyone else seen a change in the properties of DME lately. It just started with my last two brews and I almost threw the first two primers out but decided it wasn't enough volume to really hurt much. This last starter has really got me questioning what's going on with my DME supplier. Anyone else notice a high level of coagulation of proteins in their boils or starters?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2005, 01:20 AM   #2
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Not really...I've been using M&F extra light for my starters, and I notice a nice layer of yeast on the bottom, as well as (what I assume are) little clumps of yeast. The fluid above the yeast layer just looks like regular, cloudy beer.

I've got some Cooper's DME on the way, which I plan to keep around for starters. I read in "Designing Great Beers" that Cooper's is the most fermentable extract, so I figure it ought to be good for starters. Note that I found this out after I ordered it.....I'm not that huge of a geek.

Gone unsung for far too long

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply