Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > High Gravity Brewing - Secondary Fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
jbambuti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default High Gravity Brewing - Secondary Fermenter

I've done a couple of higher gravity brews and am considering doing a Wee Heavy with an SG of 1.083 or so. This will be an extract brew with some grains for steeping.

I've read quite a few of the debates on primary only vs. moving to secondary and I was wondering if a secondary is absolutely necessary for a beer with this gravity. I have 2 plastic fermenting buckets, but no carboys. I'm really not in the position to pop for a carboy right now, so if it absolutely needs a secondary, I'll just work with another style.

Any thoughts on pluses/minuses of doing 3 weeks in primary and then bottle conditioning, like I've done with my other brews, would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Primary 2: Apfelwein

Primary 3: Air

Bottled: Hammered Squirrel Nut Brown Ale (btl. 5/9/10), Jamil's Evil Twin (btl. 3/29/10), Crazy Ivan RIS (btl. 2/14/10), English Pale Ale (btl. 12/29/09), Apfelwein

Up Next:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1313 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 693

If you were to do a secondary this beer would be a great cadidate. I think you should try it not only because its a high gravity beer, but also because you can compare it to other beers that you have done. This way you will know what YOUR preference is and thats whats most important.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Old 02-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
Southwood

Recipes 

You could even let it sit in the primary a little longer, some people have primaried for up to six weeks with good results. Just make sure that you won't have wild temperature fluctuations & you should be good.

On the other hand, as long as fermentation is complete, just bottle that sucker. Good luck!

Also pouring: Weizen-bock, Solstice Ale '06

Old 02-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I can't think of any reason why you'd have to secondary...it should be fine to just leave in the primary for 3-4 weeks and then straight to bottling. It might need a bit longer bottle conditioning before it hits it's prime, but using a secondary wouldn't change that unless it was a really long one.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 02-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
TopDog
Recipes 

Agree. I do high gravity ales almost exclusively and never secondary. I just see it as one more place for an infection to spring up.

Brew like your head's on fire.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:02 AM   #6
jbambuti
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies. My gut was to keep doing what I've been doing, as I've enjoyed the few beers I've brewed, but it's nice to have the reinforcement, as I want to make the best beers I can with my limited experience. I've gone ahead and ordered supplies for the Wee Heavy and will post when it's done.

Primary 2: Apfelwein

Primary 3: Air

Bottled: Hammered Squirrel Nut Brown Ale (btl. 5/9/10), Jamil's Evil Twin (btl. 3/29/10), Crazy Ivan RIS (btl. 2/14/10), English Pale Ale (btl. 12/29/09), Apfelwein

Up Next:

Old 02-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
5gBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Personally, I'd primary for 3 weeks, then rack to secondary for at least a month. There's no need to let the beer sit on a yeast cake for more than 3 weeks, and chance picking up off flavors/aromas. Racking to secondary will let the beer finish doing what it's doing, and let it clear up and blend a bit more. Time makes the beer, especially HG brews.

5gB

Primary 1: The Astronomer: An Imperial Stout
Primary 2: NA
Secondary 1: Potion #6: An Irish Stout
Bottled/Conditioning:
- Vander Maass German Wheat
- Mad Tiger: Honey IPA
Bottled/Drinking:
- Vander Maass German Wheat
- Mad Tiger: Honey IPA
Up Next:
- undecided

Old 04-22-2010, 03:55 AM   #8
radamadar
Recipes 

Thanks for the insights on this... lots of good experience here. I'm doing a trappist double right now, OG = 1.080. Not sure if I can say its AG, since there's candi sugar and the like in there, but it's based on a full mash.

I'm two weeks into primary, and everything seems good. Was going to rack to a secondary this weekend, but sounds like another week on the yeast can only help. I've got some oak chips and some dry hopping I want to do (some say inappropriate to this style, but it will be subtle, and belgians are known for being non-conformist... .25 oz Willamette and .50 oz Cascade in a 6.5 g batch)

Any thoughts on duration and timing for secondary, and when you think the oak and dry hops would best come into play? My gut says the .50 oz of oak for a full 4-6 week secondary, and the hops in the last 1-2 weeks. Finally, based on this schedule, what experiences in bottle conditioning after? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5gBrewer View Post
Personally, I'd primary for 3 weeks, then rack to secondary for at least a month.
this is what i'd do. bulk aging in secondary will allow a BIG beer like this to come into its prime much quicker than bottling and aging in small portions (12-22oz bottles). bulk age in secondary = good idea for beers >1.080

Old 04-24-2010, 01:42 AM   #10
radamadar
Recipes 

Thanks... will leave it in the primary for another week, then rack it up for 4 to 6.

Quick Reply