Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > High Flow Counterflow Wort Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 02:55 AM   #11
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Any CFC will work just fine. I use a pump to re-circulate icewater through mine, that way I don't have to waste so much water. I can get a 15 gallon batch into the fermenter in under 10 minutes. I'm not sure why you'd need anything that flows faster than that.
Yuri, how much ice is required to do this? I've also been recirculating ice water, but only after using the water hose to get the wort down to < 150', and even then, I melt an entire ice chest full of ice. If I started using the ice from the beginning, I don't think I would have enough ice to make it through cooling the entire 10 gal batch.

Last edited by Lil' Sparky; 10-29-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 03:52 AM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I think the problem is dumping the heated cooling water back into the ice container. I'm sure your tap water is much cooler than the output of your chiller so you'd be better off topping it off with a trickle from the hose. There's a threshold I'm sure where the output of the chiller would be about the same as tap temp (say when the wort is 95F) at which time you can have it dump back in.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-29-2007, 03:55 AM   #13
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 606 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
Yuri, how much ice is required to do this?
I use about 60 lbs at a minimum. I've used as much as 80. It winds up adding a little less than $10 to the cost of my brew if I go buy ice at the mini-mart. For 15 gallons of AG beer, I figure that's acceptable.

Quick Reply