Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > High attenuation and an apparent reason

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
Exo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default High attenuation and an apparent reason

I took several grav. readings today and based on the math found that two of my beers have attenuated beyond what the website says. This doesn't worry me, however I am the type of person that just HAS to know why.

And I remember a prior post about how someones yeast attenuated at 83%.

The first is my O'fest Ale. Wyeast 1007 German Ale was used with a target 73-77% expected apparent attenuation. OG: 1.063 and the reading today was 1.012. My math shows a 80.1% attenuation.

The second is my Boom-Boom Apricot Weizen. Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast with an expected 73-77% attenuation. Apricot puree was added a week ago and my OG was again 1.063 with a reading today of 1.012. That means an 80% attenuation again.

The next beer worth bringing up is Cheesefood's Caramel Creme. German Ale yeast again used in this and the numbers come up to a 77% attenuation. But the catch is that 4oz of lactose were added at the end of the boil. That has to give the attenuation a kilt no? Actual attenuation I would think would be just a bit higher since that lactose shouldn't count?

So, why am I getting attenuation levels that are higher than expected?

I found my solution in temperature corrections. My beer is at 68deg. and the temperature adjustment added a single point to the gravity reading. That one single point brought attenuations right into range. So, instead of 1.012 the actual reading is 1.013.

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply