Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > HERMS and Fly Sparging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
pjkutah12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default HERMS and Fly Sparging

We recently incorporate a HERMS system into our brewing process and we cut our fly sparging time in half with the thought that with the recirculation of the mash tun during Mash Out we would still grab the maximum amount of sugar out of the grains. We ended up slightly under gravity and my thought is that even though we recirculated the grain bed maybe it still requires an hour of sparge time in order to maximum the sugar you are pulling out of the bed. We mill our own grain and calibrate before every beer so being under gravity is not due to the crush. The beer was a Porter and I have heard that dark beers can result in lower gravity of wort.

I'm looking to find out if anyone thinks that an hour of fly sparging is required in order to get everything out of the grain bed or if cutting it short is ok because of the HERMS and our lower gravity could have been caused by something else.

Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I usually do at least a 45 minutes sparge with my herms system. With the recirculating, your not really extracting any more sugars because what you do extract you run back through into the grain bed. You need to "rinse" the grains with fresh water to rinse properly.

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League
OlieNH Likes This 
Old 01-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tally350z View Post
i usually do at least a 45 minutes sparge with my herms system. With the recirculating, your not really extracting any more sugars because what you do extract you run back through into the grain bed. You need to "rinse" the grains with fresh water to rinse properly.
+1

Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
lewdog50
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have found that with my HERMS system that it definitely produces clearer wort using a constant re circulation during the mash . I normally sparge for at least 45 minutes to collect my full volume of wort for the boil.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
redman67
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I read somewhere on here that when you are recirculating, the wort gravity is too high to extract the sugars like a sparge would. so the recirc is more to hold temp and prevent stratification during conversion

I dont know myself but it sounds about right

Because God hates it when you drink bad beer

Old 01-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
lewdog50
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

During re circulation, I am not concerned with extracting the sugars. I am more concerned with creating a extremely clear wort(constant vorlauf), and maintaining my mash temperature. I still sparge for at least 45 minutes or so after my mash is complete. I have at least meet or exceeded my expected numbers every time(normally within a point or two).

Quick Reply