Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Help with a Pilsner Please?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
weirrp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help with a Pilsner Please?

Hey everyone! I attempted to brew my first Pilsner (extract) on Saturday. For some reason, I haven't seen any evidence of fermentation. It has been almost 48 hrs. My OG was 1.060. I used 7 lbs extra light DME, and 1 lb of Carafoam, and 1 lb of Carahell malt. My yeast was Wyeast 2206. The primary has been in my keezer since saturday at 52 degrees. The recommended fermentation temperature was 48-58 degrees. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Primary - American Brown
Secondary - Empty
Bottled - Empty
Kegged - American IPA, Bohemian Pils
Planning - Imperial Chocolate Almond Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Lager yeasts take some time to get going when compared to ales. If you pitched enough yeast and if you made a starter and pitched at 70F to 80F then it does not take very long to start (a few hours). If pitched cold it should be going in less than 24 hours. Note that lager yeasts sometimes do not show a krausen like ale yeasts do in the first few hours as their action is going on in the bottom of the fermenter. If using a carboy you can see the action of small bits of yeast moving up and down inside. Relax, it will start soon.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 05-26-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

WBC said it all. Hopefully, for your sake, you made a starter beforehand.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply